What's new

Playing F-Zero X on a PIII 500mhz comp

TheImpaler

I built a dud pc a while back and I've been testing what I can do with it lately, and it seems to be taking a good beating thus far, the thing I have to note is that there is no sound card in it which I will have to rectify. I thought I would post this quick screenshot (sorry it isn't tidy atm) The computer I am using has a 500mhz PIII processor with 256mb Ram and a 32mb graphics card. I thought it would have trouble with an N64 emulator but it isn't doing to badly, and runs at a decent frame rate. I think other games however would have trouble though.

35lb881.jpg

Has anyone here managed to get it running on worse specs?

spartan

i dont think you will get many games at full speed, maybe one of the older emulators like ultraHLE or something will work better.

Shugo

I have 256mb RAM, 64mb integrated graphics card, and a 2.6ghz processor. I can get it running very smooth.... But I hate my crappy computer.

X-Fi6

I have 256mb RAM, 64mb integrated graphics card, and a 2.6ghz processor. I can get it running very smooth.... But I hate my crappy computer.
Yes but you have a 2.6Ghz processor.

With N64 emulation, about 20-90% of the lag comes from r4300i emulation, which deals mostly with the processor.

If you only have a 500Mhz P3, ouch...

Last edited:

Clements

Super Mario 64 normally runs at a faster speed than most N64 games in an emulator. Might be worth seeing the frame rate there. At least the PIII has SSE - my old AMD K6-2 did not have that luxury and so every game was slow no matter what.

OP
TheImpaler

TheImpaler

Hmm, I'm getting about the same for Super Mario 64, though it will go to 60fps for stuff like the menu, it will also go to 60fps ingame when I'm in a small area or not moving too much, it does slow down when I'm moving a lot or am in big areas between 30-40fps, it slowed down a lot during the cut scene with the flying camera guy. Also the big face at the begining of the game was mostly black, probably a graphics issue. Thats the only graphics issue I came across so far

1035vlw.jpg

97ibn6.jpg

Sorry if this seems like a silly thread to have. I just think its impressive what you can get away with for this level of emulation :p

Lizard Blade

Protip: update your graphics drivers, use :1964: Everything except Perfect Dark got full speed on my old 600mhz P3/384MB RAM/32MB GeForce 2 MX

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
Sorry to say, but 30fps is NOT a decent frame rate. 60 is the average.
Shut up. For a comp with those specs that is more than decent.

If you want to take a screenshot of only the PJ64 window (or any other specific window) hit alt+print screen, so you don't have to cut your desktop out.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Though F-Zero X ran at a true 60 frames per second. ;)

Clements: Couple that fact with the frighteningly slow FPU of the K6-x... yikes.

jdsony

A lot of the issues with N64 emulators is making the N64 games look good on modern hardware and monitors. If you output to an old CRT TV you can leave the resolution low and and get a decent real N64 visual quality. The real N64 rarely ran at the full 30fps anyways. I believe the N64 emulators are displaying "Fields per Second" so 60 fields per second is actually 30 frames per second for NTSC TV's.

I'm not sure how F-Zero X fits in though because I remember when it came out it was said to run @ 60 frames per second.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
all this over emulating on an old system...

Your in a community of people DEDICATED to this. Dedicated to working their ass off to get old systems working just for nostalgic purposes. Among modern consoles too, but the emphasis is obviously on the N64.

Do you even belong here?

Ntsc = 20fps
Pal = 18fps

WHAT?! That would look painfully slow as 30 FPS already begins to near the slide show feel.

Standards say:
NTSC = 60 FPS
PAL = 50 FPS

I've heard of half of these values but never a third. What does a third of the speed? Anyways, the graphics plugin should most likely be outputting 50 to 60 FPS regardless of the internal speed, right?

Last edited:

synx

I noticed you've got AVG on, have you tried disabling all non-critical services running in the background? I'm sure you could squeeze out a bit more speed without them eating up those precious cpu cycles.

Clements

WHAT?! That would look painfully slow as 30 FPS already begins to near the slide show feel.

Standards say:
NTSC = 60 FPS
PAL = 50 FPS

I've heard of half of these values but never a third. What does a third of the speed? Anyways, the graphics plugin should most likely be outputting 50 to 60 FPS regardless of the internal speed, right?

Pretty much only Ocarina of Time had that framerate in-game. The game is not representative at all of most N64 games, which typically ran at 30FPS or more.