What's new

Memory Question

dabadguy

For some odd reason I cant find where project 64 is holding my save files. On top of that, it doesnt install the mempak or saves folder in the program files directory. I have installed and uninstalled the program many time, I have tried just creating a mempak and saves folder in the program directory and that doesnt work either. Does anyone have a resolutino to this probelm? BTW I'm running Vista too.

OP
D

dabadguy

I never specified for the emulator to put it anywhere, so I figured it should be in the program files folder. Wierd thing is, it continues to save all of the changes that in games, yet I cannot find the folder that it is saving all of this.

My cheats menu has also froze (I cant delete or add any cheats), and adding in textures projects doesnt work either. I know this a lot to go wrong with an emulator at once, but I have tried to mess around with this thing for a few days to fix it, and I have not gotten anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If you haven't specified a save folder, Project64 defaults to a folder named 'Save', as in [path to Project64]\Save.

OP
D

dabadguy

Hmm great point about the permission thing, but how do i give it full permission? Right click on the folder and adjust the security tab settings?

Another thing that is wierd is that the project 64 installer doesnt install the mempak and saves folders, also when i try to edit the cheats by right clicking it doesnt allow me to change anything. Could this also be related to security settings?

Thanks a lot for the ideas guys! This has been driving me nuts!

Last edited:

X-Fi6

The answer is: they WERE installed.

And they're working fine.

You're just using Windows Vista. Vista has this extremely retarded thing about it where the /save/ and the /screenshots/ folders aren't accessible by Windows Vista.

Right now, in Firefox, type in file://C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\save\ and press enter. See? Vista itself can't do anything to these two folders. Only certain programs can.

So you're out of luck unless you change these folders to different names.

OP
D

dabadguy

So with Vista you cannot use N64 emulators? Dam, I really have never understood why they implemented this huge amount of security on vista, xp was fine with out.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
thats not correct at all Xfi, please nick off.

In vista, right click on Project64.exe and click properties and on the compatibility tab tick the always run as admin (or elevated permissions)

then right click on the save folder and click properties and untick the read only box.

OP
D

dabadguy

I did all of that, but for some odd reason I still cant edit the cheat files when I hit control+C. It wont let me right click any of the cheats. Any idea on this.

Also when I try to untick the Read Only button on the save folder, it automatically sets it back to read only.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
thats normal, on XP theres 3 read only modes

Off > Per User, and On.
no tick > grayed tick > black tick

it might be that your doing something wrong, i remember editing the cheats in 1.6 was rather tricky.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
thats normal, on XP theres 3 read only modes

Off > Per User, and On.
no tick > grayed tick > black tick
I thought the gray tick meant that some files or folders within the selected folder were read only, and that clicking OK wouldn't change anything.

X-Fi6

thats not correct at all Xfi, please nick off.

In vista, right click on Project64.exe and click properties and on the compatibility tab tick the always run as admin (or elevated permissions)

then right click on the save folder and click properties and untick the read only box.
On Vista I had that problem myself, on multiple computers...

The \save\ and \screenshots\ folders appeared to be missing and when I made them myself Project64 appeared to not be saving anything in them.

IE would say that the folders were not found (same with start --> run). Firefox actually displayed the stuff there...but it wouldn't let me save stuff there.

OP
D

dabadguy

All of this information has helped me out greatly. I at least have the emulator making a .mpk and .fla file in the save menu. So thank you guys for helping me get this far.

But as far as the cheats file goes, does anyone know what to do about that. I cant even edit any of the cheats, delete them, or add any. I cant do it on 1964 either.

OP
D

dabadguy

No, when I right click on the .cht file, the read only box is totally unchecked. So it should not be read only. Yet it still doesnt let me make any changes. This is madness.

OP
D

dabadguy

Darnit, guys I figured out why I couldn't edit the cheats. I googled it, a website mentioned that you could only right click and edit the cheats if you have advanced options on. I turned that on, and bam I could edit the cheats.

But again everyone, thank you for the help. I couldnt get the saves or the mempak to load without your help. This is great, I have been trying to fix this emulator for days now. Its funny I have a 360 with a few new games, and I tend to lean more towards emulation than some of the newer games.

Thanks again!

herman404

Windows Vista keeps the save files seperate from the executable code. Here is where I have the save files for my installation

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Project64 1.6\Save

Yes, I'm running Vista x64, and PJ64 still works. All of your saves will be located here. If you can't find them here, do a full hard drive search for *.eep files.

Hope that helps