What's new

System restarts on running ROM?

frolicka

Hey :)

I'm hoping this isn't a dead issue, or a dead forum, but...

I've got issues with Project64, the latest version (I think), and I'm running with GoldenEye. I haven't tested it as yet with other ROMs, (but I'm going to), I was just wondering whether anyone else had had this problem.

I'm running Windows XP, 512MB RAM, P4 1.8GHz, GeForce 3 TI500.

When I run GoldenEye, it loads fine, does a few screens, I can control for a bit, and even get to the intro curscene, but (apparently) randomly it crashes a few seconds into the emulation, where the speakers pop and the system just restarts to black screen and RAM check as it boots up again.

Any Ideas? :)

-NaT.

Slougi

Hmm, there are two things that I can think of.

1) Your PSU is insufficient, and is unable to deliver the required current when the CPU is under load. Try running Prime95/SiSoft Sandra CPU Benchmark and see if that happens on those as well.

2) You have set Windows XP to reboot on crash (default setting) and PJ64 is causing your PC to crash, maybe because of a bad rom or some other issue, like some bad drivers or something.

OP
F

frolicka

Thanks for the quick reply --

It's definitely NOT the PSU, coz it's a 400W, in a system tower case, and it's a rather sweet system.

Also, it crashes on other games, like Destruction Derby.

It seems that if I run GoldenEye in a window until I get into the game, then make it full screen, I can play like that. Doesn't seem to crash that way, which is odd, because it crashed sometimes IN THE GAME, in fullscreen mode, just after I'd clicked and clicked to skip all the cutscenes. *shrug*. Wierd. I'm guessing it's a video resource conflict of some sort, but I've got no idea where to start looking :)

-NaT.

Quackat0r

Emutalk Duck
I have the same problem with a whole bunch of roms too (banjo-kazooie and mario kart if you're interested). It only happens occasionally though, and at seemingly random times. The dreaded BSOD pops up, then reboots faster than I can see whats happened. I keep trying to turn off that lame reboot on crash feature, so I can tell which part is crashing up, but for some reason it keeps turning itself back on :mad:

Stupid XP... if I didn't already format my drives with NTFS I'd reinstall 98 again. :plain2:

Slougi

frolicka said:
Also, it crashes on other games, like Destruction Derby.
Hmm well this confirms that it's an issue with your system. Try unonstalling (completely) the gfx drivers and reinstall them again after that.

Vicate

I have the same problem playing Mario Kart.
Example: Every time I start any of the grand prix, I finish the first race, it goes through the scores, and just before going to the next race, it crashes, and reboots.

I scanned my ROMs with GoodN64, and did the rename/dir thing. It put all of the roms except for Mario Kart in a different folder. It seemed to not even recognise Mario Kart :blink: . What's this mean?