What's new

Is there a version of P64 that I don't have to install?

Baulderan

I'm getting a new flash drive, and so I'd thought I would download P64 and put it on the drive. But the only kind I can get is one where install is required, and installing to a flash drive usually doesn't work. So does anyone know of a standalone P64 download? Thank you!

mudlord

Banned
You can try installing the PJ64 emulator onto a computer and then copying the files over to a flash drive...

OP
B

Baulderan

Well, yeah, but that doesn't always work.

Actually, it almost never works. There's usually some registry issue that happens or the like. So I'm just wondering whether there is a special stand-alone version. Or does just installing to a flash drive work with PJ64?

Demon64

Well, yeah, but that doesn't always work.

Actually, it almost never works. There's usually some registry issue that happens or the like. So I'm just wondering whether there is a special stand-alone version. Or does just installing to a flash drive work with PJ64?

oh yeah? well i have two computers with DIFFERANT OS, ONE IS VISTA, OTHER XP and transffreing pj64 and roms and windows media uupdates ALWAYS work correctly

OP
B

Baulderan

But that's not what I'm trying to do.

Whenever a program installs, it has the front end- the exe, plugins, sound files, etc. Yet, in a lot of cases, it installs things into the registry, windows file, and system32. Installing to the flash drive wouldn't be able to do anything with those three files. It would be like... if you installed PJ64 to a floppy disk (I know it's not small enough to fit on a floppy), taking it to a computer that's NEVER had PJ64 installed on it, and trying to run it off the floppy without installing it.

That's what I'm trying to do.

Allnatural

The registry entries are created at run-time; no installer needed. If you're hoping to run the program without configuring it first, that won't work I'm afraid.

Clements

The installer creates components such as Start Menu entries, Add/Remove Programs entry and such. These are totally non-essential, so just copying the program and its relevant files onto any drive you like will work unless the target computer has some way of preventing registry modification. The default registry entries are generated automatically when you open the emulator.

OP
B

Baulderan

Alright, thanks. So what would I need to do? Just install it to my flash drive, or install it to my computer and then just copying the folder?

Droshi

I can verify that this works. I used to have a burned CD with PJ64 and all my ROMs on it, and I could pop the CD into any computer and simply launch the executable and play instantly. Include your controller settings file on the jump drive so you don't have to reconfigure it on every computer you use.

But yeah, putting these files on the jumpdrive will work just fine.