What's new

How do I check if my os is 32 or 64 bit?

Desolate_Raven

Yeah, sorry for being a noob and all but...

I have no idea how to check if my os is 32 or 64 bit. I run Windows XP Professional. Could anyone help?

Sercio

Its unrealistic you have a 64bit OS because its not a standart.
You have to install it additionally.
If you want to get sure just look at your bootscreen which shows "64 bit edition" as text...
Or you try to run a 64bit app as test.

Toasty

Sony battery
If you have to ask the question, it's probably 32-bit. I'm unaware of any system manufacturers that will ship 64-bit Windows without special arrangements.

Sercio

If you arent a skilled professional coder or if you not using powerful apps then i would recomment you to forget about 64bit! Its a way difficault to find right the software for it and its damly less compatiple with usb drivers :(
There will be 32bit "dolphins" in the future so you are not bound to install a 64bit os!

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
If you arent a skilled professional coder or if you not using powerful apps then i would recomment you to forget about 64bit! Its a way difficault to find right the software for it and its damly less compatiple with usb drivers :(
There will be 32bit "dolphins" in the future so you are not bound to install a 64bit os!
Not completely right... 64 bit OSes aren't that problematic.
It was a pain in the ass to find drivers for my WindowsXP Pro X64 2 or three years ago, but it isn't difficult anymore. Now I'm on Vista Business 64 and there are drivers for nearly all kinds of hardware which aren't older than 2 years and if you are running vista you shouldn't have hardware older than that.
You can use nearly all progz with a 64Bit OS and even more, because there are a lot programs which are designed to run on 64 bit systems only.

LelandStanford

New computers are already beginning to be pre-equipped with 64 bit OSes. By the time Dolphin runs at full speed, 64-bit OSes should be mainstream ;)

Drizen

Chances are if you don't know whether your OS is 64-bit or not then it probably isn't. For me, the Windows XP boot screen displays the "Windows XP x64 Edition" logo as it loads. If yours just says "Windows XP Professional" then it is 32-bit. There are advantages and disadvantages to having a 64-bit OS. It is faster but there are occasional incompatibility issues that I can find to be quite annoying, particularly with video codecs and Windows Media Player. Some videos have no sound and others may not even play at all. I got my 64-bit copy for free from a friend that worked with IT professionals, but I don't think they sell 64-bit XP in stores anymore. You can just check by going to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System and it will say your exact OS, RAM, processor, all the basics. If it doesn't say 64-bit after Windows XP Pro then it is 32-bit. In my personal opinion right now 32-bit is still the way to go though. While programs that are specifically designed to run 64-bit are faster, there aren't too many of them out there right now, and for what you lose with all the incompatibility issues, it's not worth it quite yet. Dolphin still has much improvement to be done in terms of bugs and rendering efficiency even with the 64-bit version, so don't feel like you're being left out--at least for now. Hopefully as 64-bit becomes more mainstream, the incompatibility issues will be worked out, and Dolphin will be able to run most games with little trouble.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It is faster but there are occasional incompatibility issues that I can find to be quite annoying, particularly with video codecs and Windows Media Player. Some videos have no sound and others may not even play at all.

Start by tossing away WMP and start using Zoom Player 32-bit ;)