What's new

Need Help Mapping keys using Original N64 Controller

ffaf66

Hi
Im using a usb to n64 converter and trying to map my controls using Nrage. When I map certain keys I never get a standard result for example A i either get gamepad button 00 01,05 etc. Is this normal and if so which one is the accurate one I get these for most of the keys for example B i get gamepad 00 x-axis -. Is there something im doing wrong.

Managed to map the keys but when i play its like the control it pressing every key at once.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
I don't know if it's #3, since he managed to map all the buttons correctly. I had an incompatible controller and that thing was so nuts I couldn't begin to configure it. Assuming he has a compatible controller, I'll go into a little more depth...

It doesn't matter what gamepad you use, you will always get a numbered button. However, with this adaptor, buttons 0-3 will be C-buttons, 4 and 5 will be A and B, 6 and 7 are L and R, 8 and 9 are A and B again (just ignore these, they were probably buttons the PSX controllers had that N64 lacked), 10 is Z, 11 is Start, 12-15 are the D-pad.

As for the X-axis thing, that's also normal. "x-axis -" is analog stick left, "+" is right, and "y-axis -" is up and "+" is down. Ignore all the z-axis things too, I'm pretty sure these were from the second analog stick of the PSX controller, also unused in N64.

In short, yes, numbered buttons and such ARE normal.