What's new

Hi all, newbie here, hows it going?

stranger81

Gday, my name's Daniel, I'm from Australia. I just got an emulator off my friend the other day, cos I desperately want to play Paper Mario again, and you can't find it anywhere! Anyway, I started the other day, and unfortunately now it won't work. I had a look at the rules thread, but I'm too much of computer illiterate to understand all the jargon I'm afraid. :( So if anyone could help, these are the error messages I get after double-clicking on project 64 1.6:

"Direct 3D failed to initialize your HAL device make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0"

followed by

"The default or selected video plugin is missing or invalid. You need to go to Settings and select a video (graphics) plugin. Check that you have at least one compatible plugin file in your plugin folder."

Now with my Dad's help we checked these plugins and seemed to have them, and then when I tried to open Paper Mario I got

"Cannot open a rom because plugins have not successfully initialized"

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. I'm really lost. Thanks guys!

Oh and by the way what are your fav n64 games? Mine is Mario Kart. *drools*

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
To put it simply, the error message means that the emulator couldn't initialize Direct3D that is needed for displaying graphics in Project64. So in turn, the graphics plugin couldn't be used, thus the emulator then refuses to load any game.

You could start by telling a bit about your computers specs, especially what video card your computer has. Next, makes sure that you have the latest Microsoft DirectX installed as well as the latest drivers for your video card.