What's new

1.7 Beta. How do I get it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethangilchrist

Naughty Little Rat
So I've been perusing both the gamefaq and various posts here and I see that a number of existing problems with certain games "are fixed in 1.7." Well with the donation page down, how do I go about actually getting the beta?

Last edited:

FlotsamX

Simple: you don't, at least right now. If their donation problem is down, it either means that they don't need anyone else testing it, or that they are having problems with the donation process, in which case it might be resumed in a month or two. Anyways, the beta still has many bugs, you're better off playing with 1.6 until we see another official release.

ShadowFX

Guardian
To be quite honest, this project is more or less on a standstill. People are unable to donate because the system was taken down beyond the control of the developers (as far as I can tell). I'm a beta-tester myself but there isn't much to beta test these days, unfortunately.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
there is always things to test ShadowFX, if not the application, test cheats, make sure they work, look for missing effects in games, at the moment im working on some new cheats for the zelda games, but would find it a great help if others with other versions of the games would help in doing so too. for instance i have recently discovered a memory hack that allows epona to run permanently after using only 1 carrot,.. though the down fall is theres a memory violate that occurs when going under the cliff overhand behing lonlon ranch :\

ShadowFX

Guardian
there is always things to test ShadowFX, if not the application, test cheats, make sure they work, look for missing effects in games, at the moment im working on some new cheats for the zelda games, but would find it a great help if others with other versions of the games would help in doing so too. for instance i have recently discovered a memory hack that allows epona to run permanently after using only 1 carrot,.. though the down fall is theres a memory violate that occurs when going under the cliff overhand behing lonlon ranch :\
First of all, I would like to focus on testing emulation related areas... whereas there aren't any new updates lately and almost no responses from the developers. And second, most of the missing effects and emulation errors I found are already reported on the forums.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
There donation page is down because paypal closed the project 64 donation account down.

Some sort of emulation is a violation of paypal's tos (or some bullshit)

squall_leonhart

First of all, I would like to focus on testing emulation related areas... whereas there aren't any new updates lately and almost no responses from the developers. And second, most of the missing effects and emulation errors I found are already reported on the forums.

its funny, coz i correspond with jabo and gent alot :p.

squall_leonhart

most of the main discussion between the PJ64 team is via im, personal message or IRC pm,
alot of stuff gets said that doesn't make it to the forums and in most cases shouldn't.

theres also other projects jabo and gent are active with.

we are mostly waiting on zilmar to get back to it.

squall_leonhart

Would you care to elaborate?

not really, if you were supposed to know, or be involved, you would know, or be involved.

Fair enough, but if I look at the forums as they are now... it looks to me like their priorities lie somewhere else, obviously.

of course, Zilmar has been contracted to do some work, and apparenty the contract got extended or something, without the core being stable it can be difficult to develop the plugins, especially when jabo is testing features he has implemented.

though for as long as PJ64 has existed, jabo has also worked on jnes, and im sure gent has other projects as well.

i haven't spoken to smiff in a good while, so dunno how he is, but hes around.

trust me, this is how most of the pj64 beta's have worked,.. being done when they get around to it... i prefer development like this as it prevents rushed work,

i also prefer pj64 staying closed source,.. no matter what the many open-source whingers want, the only thing that came of the 1.4 source being released was pj64k, anyway, i wouldn't let any random wannabe coder near zilmars core,...

as the team have always said,.. it will be done when its done. there is no definite release date on it, and never has been.

Surkow

i also prefer pj64 staying closed source,.. no matter what the many open-source whingers want, the only thing that came of the 1.4 source being released was pj64k, anyway, i wouldn't let any random wannabe coder near zilmars core,....

This is a total nonsense argument. There are not just political reasons for creating an open source application but also practical reasons. For example the program and/or it's plugins can be ported to other platforms (just take a look at the Rice plugin). I cannot argue about the current situation (I will not force or annoy anyone with making their program open source) but you can scare people away from projects by behaving the way you did.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

the plugins are made for Dx and thats where they are staying, live with it.

Pj64 was made for Windows, not Mac, not Linux, Windows, Windows is where its staying for the time being.

nobody was interested the last time the source was available so tough cookies for them now.

and only a open source whinger, would bother replying to what i said, so.. stop whinging, and bugger off.

gent, trotterwatch, clements, if any of you are on, this thread can be closed now

thank you.

Surkow

the plugins are made for Dx and thats where they are staying, live with it.

Pj64 was made for Windows, not Mac, not Linux, Windows, Windows is where its staying for the time being.

nobody was interested the last time the source was available so tough cookies for them now.

and only a open source whinger, would bother replying to what i said, so.. stop whinging, and bugger off.

gent, trotterwatch, clements, if any of you are on, this thread can be closed now

thank you.

Whinging? I read a lot of topics where you behaved normally and helpful (I don't post that much around these forums - I rather read) but the last post was just something I didn't agree with. That doesn't mean I'm whinging or something alike. It just means that you are not willing to discuss this matter in a normal way. It must be a weird way of thinking that closing a topic will end the discussion in your favor.

Edit: I realize you think I want this application ported. The only thing I tried to do is show you there's also a different way to look at this matter.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

no, i want the thread closed because the topic it was created for has been discussed and ended.

further conversation can be done via a new thread of if necessary, in pm.

Trotterwatch

I fail to see what Surkow said that was out of turn. You on the other hand Squall are constantly getting into arguments. Seeing as you weren't the thread starter (merely the derailer) then I won't close the thread. Go ask one of your new best friends instead.

squall_leonhart

at no point did i say it was out of turn, and i don't see the topic as derailed at all, all of the information posted is relevant to 1.7.

its more the fact that theres a long standing unspoken rule that all 1.7 talk be directed towards the official PJ64 site, rather then be having it posted all over the emutalk forums. shadowfx could've simply directed the op to

Project64 - donation page down
and
PJ64 - lack of updates recently.

theres also the point that the moderation here isn't constant, we have one mod who lets topics go as long as theres no arguments, and then another who jumps down a users throat the moment it goes off topic, tell me how we are supposed to know what is and what isn't offtopic under such conditions.

Last edited:

ShadowFX

Guardian
its more the fact that theres a long standing unspoken rule that all 1.7 talk be directed towards the official PJ64 site, rather then be having it posted all over the emutalk forums. shadowfx could've simply directed the op
If it were about private information concerning beta releases and such, I would keep my mouth shut. But this is purely information about the activity on their forums and the fact that there is almost no progression at all (people deserve to know this). I could indeed have directed the op to those links, but I choose to just type it out. And since it is apparently an unspoken rule like you claim, it wasn't wrong at all to give the information I posted.

theres also the point that the moderation here isn't constant...
With all due respect, I believe the mods here are capable enough to judge whether a topic should be closed or not, not just because you want it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.