What's new

Freezing, Strobe, Black Screen

goaltime671

System:

Viao Computer with Vista
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2060 @ 1.60 GHz, 1.60 GHz (dual)
Ram: 1014 MB
Type: 32-bit operating system
Graphics: Mobile Intel 945 GM Express Chipset Family

Thank you in advance for your help.
I'm playing Goldeneye and getting the same problem as JDizzle. However, I switched to Jabo's Direct 3D6, and it improved but still freezes, screen turns black, and the game comes back on, but's it's in strobe at maybe 1 or 2 frames/ second- impossible to play. Music also strobes. Message says display driver stopped responding and has recovered.

I have updated my driver already. Perfect Dark actually works better than GoldenEye, but seems to freeze on occasion. I can look for a different goldeneye to see if anything changes. Otherwise, is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Not really. To put it bluntly, Intel's integrated graphics chips are absolute trash as far as emulation is concerned, and some chips are even worse than their brethren.

Get a decent desktop computer with a decent video card.

D

Desert Drifter

Yeah, those "on-board" graphic cards don't work great for gaming, usually only have 4MB to work with. Probably best to get a video card, not sure what would work for ya, but the emulation is going to be "poor" quaility displayed on that one, which I had to do the same and buy a new card, though might have to still upgrade it down the line... :)

Agozer

Usually integrated graphics chips don't even have their own video RAM, they just use a portion of the system RAM for graphics.

D

Desert Drifter

I had a on-board graphic card myself, though had an AIMM AGP card, 4MB, with it, though his maybe different...

Agozer

I had a on-board graphic card myself, though had an AIMM AGP card, 4MB, with it, though his maybe different...
Yes well, some might have a very small amount of their own video RAM, but that kind of amount was useful 10 years ago.

D

Desert Drifter

Yes well, some might have a very small amount of their own video RAM, but that kind of amount was useful 10 years ago.

Reason why I bought a new card, too slow for emulation. :p
The card I have now is taking over that AGP slot, but probably still not enough for the heavier games. ;)