What's new

Dolphin on MacOS X

kc7zzv

How hard would it be it port Dolphin to MacOS X Intel?

Would it only require a few small tweaks and a new project file.

Would it require a rewrite of the GUI.

Would it be easier to just rewrite the most of the program and just keep a couple pieces.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Hmm i cant see it being an easy task put it that way. As far as i know the intel processors mac uses have a different architecture to x86 intel (pc) intel processors.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
No, Intel Macs use Intel's x86 architecture. That's why they are called Intel Macs.

"Regular" Macs used Apple's own PowerPC architecture, which made porting anything to a Mac a royal pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
No, Intel Macs use Intel's x86 architecture. That's why they are called Intel Macs.

"Regular" Macs used Apple's own PowerPC architecture, which made porting anything to a Mac a royal pain in the ass.

Ahh thats where im getting mixed up, my mistake :whistling

BlueFalcon7

In fact, the GC running on an older Mac would actually be more efficient (in theory) Because the gekko is a G3 with a few more opcodes.

When it comes to native booting, OSX runs fine on my custom built PC.

Mistify

If you have a MacBook Pro, you can install Windows XP 64 bit, its a royal pain in the *** to do so, but it is possible. I just recently blew away XP 32 bit, just to install x64 on my MacBook Pro. The drivers are near impossible to find, but once you do, its almost worth it... Boot Camp doesn't support x64 AT ALL, so you have to set everything up by hand...

How cool is it to say
"So, you want to play some Mario Party 7? How about using 360 controllers? Did I mention its on My Mac? Yeah, its a MacBook Pro running x64, never saw that before ehh? Yeah it also runs completely through my TV, speakers included. Cool right?" :-D

NepSquare

Even if the Gekko is a G3 with more upcodes, Dolphin wouldn't run more efficient on a Mac because of it. The application is written and optimized for Intel x64 architecture. Dolphin has to be totally re-written to fit the G3 instruction set.

In my humble theory.

Masonspace

Tsk... its actually IBM's PowerPC architecture

In fact, the GC running on an older Mac would actually be more efficient (in theory) Because the gekko is a G3 with a few more opcodes.

When it comes to native booting, OSX runs fine on my custom built PC.

Sorry to burst your bubble, while yes there is a hacked version of OSX that is bootable natively on PC's, it runs awfully slow and choppy, So I wouldn't reccomend using it untill more stable versions and more drivers are released.

Another thing, just because a the gamecube uses a modified verison of a G3 Processor doesnt mean it has the same PPC architecture. Thats like saying Xbox Games should run just fine on a PC because Xbox's Have a modified Pentium 3, and while yes xbox's are very similiar to the x86 architecture, even the slight differences it has make it difficult to emulate anything.

Last edited:
OP
K

kc7zzv

If you have a MacBook Pro, you can install Windows XP 64 bit, its a royal pain in the *** to do so, but it is possible. I just recently blew away XP 32 bit, just to install x64 on my MacBook Pro. The drivers are near impossible to find, but once you do, its almost worth it... Boot Camp doesn't support x64 AT ALL, so you have to set everything up by hand...

*snip*

Can you show me where you got the driver for the video card and sound card or a good HOWTO? Thanks.

Masonspace

I heard you could install xp using something called parallels instead of bootcamp, not sure though, never had an intel mac.

Mistify

Can you show me where you got the driver for the video card and sound card or a good HOWTO? Thanks.

I can give you a link to the Video Drivers, but the I deleted all the other Drivers. I managed to find about 75% of the basic drivers on google, through a few hours of searching. Looking around you can find, Audio, Video, Ethernet (Not wireless), and a few other smaller drivers, including the chipset. Sorry I can't be of more help right now.

Video Drivers -- http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/NVIDIA-bit-ForceWare-GeForce-Go-Download-40289.html

There is no support for all the Function Keys or the ISight, but if your booting windows purely for Dolphin (Like I am), it'll be alright. ;)