What's new

Golden Nugget(black faces ,cards,etc.)

bobster7408

Is there a fix for the black faces and cards, etc. for the Golden nugget 64. Any help would be appreciated. I am a newbie so please don't be toooooo technical LOL!

Tre

Oops. Died again.
It's possible your graphics card can't handle the default plugins. If you can, please post your computer specs (using my signature below this text as an example) and we can try to figure it out. It's likely you are using an Intel graphics processor... which doesn't like to display things correctly. All specs can be found in "My Computer > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager"

Or just right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties" to skip straight to the "Hardware" profile. Tell us the "Display Adapters" and "Processors". Also, Ram size if you can. It also helps if you denote "Laptop" or "Desktop" for your specs.

Last edited:
OP
B

bobster7408

My Puter specs

I have a Desktop Dell 4600

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
1.536 Gig RAM

I am using the Project 64 Emulator, also.

I hope this helps!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Do you have the latest RDB update from the Project64 site? Do other games have similar problems?

Tre

Oops. Died again.
It is odd that the game is giving you the video errors like this. Can you tell us the list of plugins you have going? Specifically the graphics?

And as Agozer asked, are other games giving you graphic errors?

OP
B

bobster7408

Plug-ins

I am running the same graphics plug-in as you are. I haven't had problems with other ROM's other than slowing down a little, i.e. Joust. I have triple sinc on.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Unfortunately, no, I haven't played Golden Nugget. I only have a small handful of games (OoT, MM, Golden Eye, Tetrisphere, and Mario 64). The only reason I really got into emulation was to play the games I had when I was a kid, but can't because the original system(s) died on me.

I'm not going to ask for a copy of the game, mostly because it's not permitted here... and also because until I finish working on my computer, it wouldn't really help you anyway. I ~think~ your video card should be just fine... it's possible (unlikely) that if you switch graphics plugins (try the Jabo's Direct3D6 instead) it might fix the problem. That's about all I can offer helpwise.

OP
B

bobster7408

Thank you, Tre, for your help. I will try another plug-in. It seems that probably is the cause or the ROM is just not a good one.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
It could be a bad rom. Try a rom verifier (I used to use GoodN64... but Goodtools are outdated from what I'm told) to be sure. If it is bad, you'll need a new rom. Also, PJ64 seems to prefer NTSC/US releases... so you could try that.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
And there seems to be the answer. Stupid question, CpU MasteR... but does Golden Nugget work in a different N64 emulator? Or because it's a video plugin issue, would all other emulators be subject to the same issues?

Locutus92

And there seems to be the answer. Stupid question, CpU MasteR... but does Golden Nugget work in a different N64 emulator? Or because it's a video plugin issue, would all other emulators be subject to the same issues?

This game does not currently work properly under any emu\plugin combo I have tried. It doesn't even work properly with PJ64 1.7 although they have said that it is being worked on.

You MIGHT try something like mupen, I got *SOME* results with it working *A LITTLE* better. Not much more can be done, unfortunately.

tickletrunk

The only combo that works for me is 1964 0.9.9 using Rice's Daedalus 5.2 video plugin. Some tweaks of plugins get rid of the black faces in PJ64, but the only combo that displays the cards properly is 1964 and the Rice plugin. Hope that helps.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x

I have tried Golden Nugget 64 with a number of plugins and have had no success but only with PJ64.

As I beta tested for Glide64 and 1964, an educated guess on what the problem is with Golden Nugget 64 is a combiner problem. Which is a video issue internally possibly not implemented or not correct, it has nothing to do with your video or computer configuration. Although different emulators intend to produce different problems with different plugins, it is really hard to tell.

The only other method I would try is tickletrunk's since he claims he has had some success.