What's new

Nintendo 64 to USB adapter

md_

Hi, I regularly use Project 64, after I sold my nintendo, then 6 months later, felt like playing the games again. Only thing is, I would like to use a Nintendo 64 controller to play the games, and was wondering if Project 64 would support using a Nintendo 64 to USB adapter, which inturn had the controllers connected to. If yes, would anyone have any suggestions for adapters to use? I'm really new to this, and wouldn't have a clue where to look, except for maybe ebay, but I prefer to avoid ebay as much as possible. Thanks for your help in advance.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
you'd be better off searching for a similar control that is already USB,.. the adapters usually just dont work :\

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
For he best one, get the Adaptoid. It's going to cost you a lot and they can be hard to find.

There are other cheaper adapters as well, run you might run the risk of those not being recognized by Project64 even though Windows does. Input plugins affect this also, i.e. If your controller/buttons/axes aren't recognized by the default Jabo's DirectInput plugin, usually the N-Rage Input plugin is a better choice.

Then again, what Squall said applies more often than not.

Last edited:

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Heck, while it's not an N64 controller, there ARE excellent Gamecube controller adapters available. You can get them cheap at Radio Shack if you're near one. The game Cube controller would give you the option to have as close to the N64 controller as you can get (though you lose the overall layout as well as the prime location of the Z-Button).

I don't know where you could find USB style N64 controllers... maybe Google can be your friend on that?

Psythik

If you use an XBOX 360 controller, this layout works nicely with all N64 games (well at least all the ones I've tried). You could probably substitute a PS2 controller as well.

The reason why I have the C-buttons mapped to X, Y, LB, & RB as well as the second stick is because some games use them as extra buttons (and sometimes require you to press two at once, such as C Left & C Right), while others use them as camera controls. If you configure them like the way I did, you could go either way, depending on what a game calls for. (To map a N64 button to two controller buttons, all you have to do is use the Macro feature of N-Rage's controller plugin).

Also, I mapped the Z-button to the L trigger because the Z-Button is used more like an L button anyway (and the L button is used like a select button (usually toggling something on and off), hence I mapped it to select).

Last edited:

GE Master

Dood just buy a friggin usb adapter and ignore the doubters. They are 10 bux! It doesn't work (highly unlikely) you can return it! You can buy about 4 or 5 of these to 1 adaptoid so..... do it up right and use your original n64 controllers with the usb adapters.

OP
M

md_

Alright, cheers for the help. Any specific reliable sites I should look through?