What's new

Utorrent Vista problem

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I always have the "listen error" in the status bar, with a red "!" sign. According to uTorrent FAQ found on therir homepage it means

The red light means that µTorrent was unable to bind a listening socket. Most likely, this means a firewall is blocking it. It's also possible that another torrent client is using this port, which will require you to change ports, or not run both clients at the same time.

I'm just using the bundled Windows Firewall, and uTorrent have permissions there. Well I'm able to dowload stuff but this is starting to piss me of because it works withou any problem under XP, so is not a hardware related problem I guess. I'm using uTorrent 1.7 RC2. Do you guys know the solution?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Maybe you're behind a router that blocks utorrent? It's also possible that utorrent cannot add an exception on the Vista firewall.

Try enabling UPnP from the utorrent configuration.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I remember some people posting about a similar problem over at the uTorrent forums. You might want to head over there to see what's the deal.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Maybe you're behind a router that blocks utorrent? It's also possible that utorrent cannot add an exception on the Vista firewall.

Try enabling UPnP from the utorrent configuration.

Is not seems to be a router since I don't have any problems with XP (I'm connected to the router using LAN) uTorrent is listed under Windows Firewall exceptions, and UPnP was disabled, so I enabled it, but it didn't work. Any other solutions?

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
tried a lof of stuff... now I'm using the final stable 1.7 build of uTorrent, still the same, I managed to have a confirmation that my port is working with the utorrent port check page (it was diagnosed as blocked before) but the red light is still there. What else can I do?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It's a thought that Windows Firewall may be causing problems. It's not a good firewall, you know.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I've encountered such a problem once...
To me, it was that I had forced utorrent to use a specific LAN adapter for incoming or outgoing, but that wasn't available.
In any case, another thing that might help is to reset utorrent's settings and change listening port.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
How do I reset utorrent settings?

EDIT: Found out how...

How can I reset the settings back to the defaults?

Delete settings.dat and settings.dat.old from %AppData%\uTorrent with the client closed.

Now all is fixed... Doom you are the man!

Last edited: