What's new

Is there a way to play N64 on a 64 bit OS?

Nicholas

I have really been wanting to play some N64 games on Ubuntu 7.04 64 bit but I have encountered a huge problem. Although I have compiled and ran Mupen64 for Linux, all the plugins (including video/graphics, audio/sound, and input) do not work because they are compiled for 32 bit. I have downloaded the source code of as many of these plugins as I could find but even being the great Google user that I am, I'm unable to get these to compile for my 64 bit OS. I haven't been able to find a pre-compiled plugin, either. I have posted on ubuntuforums.org but haven't gotten much help so I decided to post here because I'm more likely to get answers on a forum about emulation.

icepir8

I afraid that its going to be some what complicated to port to 64bit. The dyna-rec will have to be completely rewritten. The plugins will have to have the plugin specs modified to handle the 64bit data width for pointers and such. I am willing to do this for Windows but I do not have a linux installed 64bit or otherwise.

cheers!

Icepir8 :pirate:

OP
N

Nicholas

32-bit Mupen64 should still work on a 64-bit system, shouldn't it?
Getting Mupen64 itself to work is not the problem. The 32 bit version of it didn't work because the library it needed was the 32 bit version and I had the 64 bit one. However, I compiled Mupen64 and it now runs because it looks for the 64 bit library, which is the one I have.

The problem is getting the plugins to run. Mupen64 would work if there were 64 bit plugins I could use with it.

I afraid that its going to be some what complicated to port to 64bit. The dyna-rec will have to be completely rewritten. The plugins will have to have the plugin specs modified to handle the 64bit data width for pointers and such. I am willing to do this for Windows but I do not have a linux installed 64bit or otherwise.

cheers!

Icepir8 :pirate:
Linux is free. Would you be willing to download and install it? I'm also wondering how much work would be involved in converting a Windows plugin to a Linux one. Many applications can be compiled on Windows, Mac, and Linux with no changes to the code. For an example of this, see Sauerbraten, a free and open source FPS with good graphics that can be compiled on the three platforms without code changes.

Last edited:

icepir8

I will look into this. But it will not be a priority item. First I will port TR64 to 64bit WinXP. after that is done I will try to install 64bit Linux to try and port TR64 to.

MIO0

I have an unreleased port of Mupen64 that compiles and runs on 64 bit Linux that I made mostly for hacking Super Mario 64. I basically ripped out every trace of the recompiler and went through the source like a madman replacing every variable and cast that used types of a non certain size. All recompiler specific code as well as the variables that indicate which core is in use are gone.

I really don't know if it is suitable for release, as I have done minimal testing. The only game I know to work is Super Mario 64. The only other game I tested it with is Goldeneye, but I seem to have broken some TLB related code that it uses as part of its boot sequence.

I have no doubt that the Windows, old GTK gui, and no GUI versions are broken.

I also added a cheap hack of a memory viewer, and partally changed the interpeter to use a switch based, as opposed to a function call based, opcode dispatch.