What's new

The future of project64

Zorix

There really is no better emulator for N64 than Project64. It is built well, runs very stable with few problems; none that I can find that will make a game unplayable. I have read a discussion about people leaking the current beta 1.7 version and while I do not think that is a good thing, what concerned me was the fact it was said to have anti-piracy/anti-leak protection. Given the developers main reason for not releasing very often was because of the considerable time needed to build a release, this is quite interesting. It occurred to me that this was well thought about and planned. Given the switch from open source to closed source and the few releases made since then this is also interesting. Now that people can donate to participate in the beta program, this has been a sort of income for the developers. I am not against this at all. I think it is a great idea to provide some encouragement. But this is the basic reason behind commercial software as well. I suppose my question is this project going to turn into a commercial application in the future?

Thanks for your time guys!

zilmar

Emulator Developer
it will never be commercial. Yes there is some finical gain, not a huge amount considering the time spent. Actually if we were not doing the current method. Pj64 would be dead.

Pj64 was never really open source, I released the source to the .exe and rsp when I quit and planned to stay quit. After no one picking it up (there was a couple of little tweaks). Azimer ended up getting me back in to it to try and work out banjoo tooie. That is where 1.5 came from. 1.6 came from wanting to do another version that was released on april's fools day.

between 1.5 and 1.6 I totaly rebuilt the emu with some different methods to see how it would go. I spent over a year of my spare time on this. I knew when it came to 1.6 I had a deadline and I eneded up having to modify the 1.5 source branch cause I never would have gotten it stable. So I modified it with some of the new things I worked out and got them working again. 1.7 is a lot more or a merger of these.

Don't forget these things take a lot of time, it took me 3 years from starting pj64 to the first release. I started the project nearly 9 years ago. If emulation ever really gave me enougth money then I would look at quiting work and doing emulation/contracting.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Well Zilmar, I, and untold numbers of N64 fanboys, are grateful to you for returning to the project when you did and taking it from the "final" release back then, to the beta versions of 1.7 you have going on now. We do appreciate the work you have put in. I personally wouldn't be able to play my N64 games if it weren't for this emulator... my original console is broken, and the emulators I've tried don't work as well as PJ64 does.

I think that V1.7 is going to really do this emulator justice and make it worth continuing the project for another year.

Zorcher

I thank you for adding Banjo-Tooie support for Project64. I have the original cart, Banjo-Kazooie, Zelda OoT, Zelda MM, and Mario Kart 64, and I must say I've never had so much fun with the Banjo games ever, I always go back to em.

In fact, it was the main reason I donated to acquire and help test 1.7. Banjo-Tooie has that random crashing issue in Project 64 1.6 and glad to see its finally fixed in 1.7. Keep up the good work guys, and hope all graphical glitches with that game are fixed, though I suppose I can always go back to playing the original cart since my 64 is still in good working order.

Brawler

I will diffidently donating hopefully they will fix no mercy with the flashing screen i hate that and the random crashing but once i get the money i am donating away :)

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
I thank you for adding Banjo-Tooie support for Project64. I have the original cart, Banjo-Kazooie, Zelda OoT, Zelda MM, and Mario Kart 64, and I must say I've never had so much fun with the Banjo games ever, I always go back to em.

In fact, it was the main reason I donated to acquire and help test 1.7. Banjo-Tooie has that random crashing issue in Project 64 1.6 and glad to see its finally fixed in 1.7. Keep up the good work guys, and hope all graphical glitches with that game are fixed, though I suppose I can always go back to playing the original cart since my 64 is still in good working order.

i've never noticed any crashing on 1.6 in regards to Banjo Tooie.

BUT..... Pokemon Snap, photo activated events is still broken.... im not sure as to why.... :| it might be a problem in the code... this would be where a Rom Debugger would be good in 1.7 :p