What's new

"Executing from non-mapped space" bug

Daande

...myeas.
While playing Majora's Mask on the Project 64, when I enter a certain room (all other rooms work) the screen freezes and an error window appears with the text "Executing from non-mapped space. Verify ROM and ROM settings.".

This is rather annoying and I need to go into this room. Each time it happens I have to restart the emulator and it still doesn't work. I've tried reinstalling the emulator, I've tried two older versions of P64, I've tried resetting all ROM settings (which automatically happened when I reinstalled it) and I know the ROM is good - GoodN64 marks the ROM with a [!] in the end.

Please help me, what can be the problem here?

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Much like in Ocarina of Time, there is a likelihood that this room you are entering is causing the emulator to crash because it's mapping to that non-mapped space.

For me, in OoT, I would get this if I went into the Lost Woods and exited. It didn't ALWAYS crash right away, sometimes it would "tick down" and crash me out.

In MM, I get this error if I try to enter the Seaside houses. The Spider-House will crash the rom for me if I try to LEAVE the Spider-House (not always right after I exit)... and the Fisherman's hut will start the "tick down" effect for me and crash if I am not careful where I go after.

I haven't found ~any~ way around this, short of saving the game after ANY major changes to the game (like getting the Heart Piece associated with the Fisherman's hut, or the Adult bag and Heart from the Spider-House).

OP
D

Daande

...myeas.
Actually, my crash comes upon entering a certain room within the Seaside Spider House. Exiting works fine, entering too, and all rooms except this particular one work. I know it doesn't have a major impact on the game directly but obtaining the Adult Wallet is required to get the All-Night Mask, so now I'll have to cheat, which just doesn't feel right. -_-

Edit: Okay, I'm screwed now. I need to defeat Goht in Snowhead more than one more time and now I get the error as soon as I enter Snowhead Temple! Isn't there anyone who can help? This is really annoying now - who knows what other locations could be affected? :(

Last edited:

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Have you tried the updated RDB? It's possible that you might need to update it, because I don't get the error entering into rooms.

Here's a serious question... okay a couple of them.

1: When you tried to enter that "certain room" did you at ~any~ time ~exit~ the house and come back ~in~?
2: When you went to Snow Head Temple, had you at ~any point~ in that game entered ~either~ of the oceanside houses?
3: When you had that crash happen (Snowhead) did you have ANY cheats going?

Depending on the answer, like if you are entering/exiting the spider-house... DON'T. Fresh start a game, warp to the bay, enter the house, BEAT the house, get the wallet, SAVE, restart the game. Do NOT exit the house. PERIOD. If you do, YOU WILL CRASH AND LOSE YOUR STUFF.

And do NOT do ANY quests that involve ANYTHING important (aside from getting the eggs and heart at Pinnacle Rock) before or AFTER you go into those houses. Aside from that Pinnacle Rock quest, and getting the Seahorse you must NOT enter those houses. Period.

OP
D

Daande

...myeas.
Quite honestly, I don't even know what an RDB is. :p

But to answer your questions:

1) I entered the house one time, then I entered one or two other rooms first which I had to access first - they worked fine. After that I entered this particular room and I got the error message. So, no, I didn't re-enter the house before I entered that room.

2) The Spider House located in the Swamp worked fine, and I had entered (and completed) that one long before I first entered Snowhead Temple. However, the Temple worked fine then. Now, however, I have entered the Seaside Spider House and gotten the error message, and when I enter Snowhead Temple AFTER this, I get the error there as well.

3) I'm not sure, but it's certainly possible. I might have had an Adult Wallet cheat or something else. I don't like cheating but while playing an emulation it's sometimes necessary, so.

The Fisherman's Hut works fine, also. :) I've already completed the egg/seahorse quests, and I'm ready to enter the water temple, however I was hoping I could complete the Seaside Spider House first. I'm going to try to reset my game and see if the house works now.

Edit: I've checked now. Just after resetting the game, I still can't enter that particular room. The rest of the house works fine, but that room and Snowhead Temple are screwed. Now what was that about the RDB?

Edit2: Alright, the game is unplayable now - now I get the error in the Great Bay Temple as well, which makes completing the game completely impossible. :'(

Last edited:

Tre

Oops. Died again.
The RDB (Rom Data Base) is an update to the emulation core for PJ64. That's found on the downloads/updates page. I'll link you there.

Project64 - Downloads

Now I can't swear that this will fix your problem. It seems that something is going wrong with the emulator for you in ways is hasn't for me (and I assume others?), so if installing the new RDB does nothing, you might want to uninstall PJ4 and reinstall it before THEN add the new RDB.

(Sorry for the delay in posts, work)

OP
D

Daande

...myeas.
Updating the RDB had no effect at all so I'll try reinstalling PJ64 and then updating. :) Thanks a lot for your help!

Tre

Oops. Died again.
I was pretty sure that updating wouldn't do much. I think somehow your original PJ64 settings might have changed on you, and as a result it's made Majora's Mask (and possibly other games) a bit unstable. The fresh install ~might~ help that... but unless you clean out your registry logs it might just keep doing the same thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope that just installing PJ64 again, and then the update, helps.