What's new

Help me run a few games well?

Nathyn

I know you probably think nobody should nitpick, but I REALLY hate it when there's ANY glitches in emulation. Right now, running Paper Mario with P64 and most GFX plugins, it seems to be screwing up the transition from walking-around mode to attack mode (like when you're randomly attacked or enter a battle with a boss).

I'm also playing Zelda: Majora's Mask, at the moment. It looks pretty nice as is. And I'd like to play Goldeneye too, but that had some pretty bad glitches.

Anyway, to clarify...

My computer's stats:

-ATI RADEON Xpress 200 chipset (sounds bad, but it runs most games fairly well).
-1 gigabyte of RAM

And I want to play:
-Paper Mario
-Zelda: Majora's Mask
-Goldeneye

What can I do to improve the graphics quality and eliminate some of the glitches I'm having?

(I like Rice's plugin and it seems to be the best for most games, but if this ends up being a discussion about the settings on that, I'll ask the mods to move the thread.)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Check out Ironclad's list and don't be picky - emulation isn't perfect. If you really need perfection then you're going to have to buy the console & games.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
The latest version of Glide64 with Hacktarux's wrapper and Hardware Framebuffer emulation enabled can emulate Paper Mario almost perfectly. Your graphics should be able to handle it, but I don't know how fast it will be.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
As for Golden Eye, unless you're running the most modern and new hardware, on the newest and highest end motherboard with a 3ghz+ cpu, you will still get slow-down, speed glitches and other artifact style issues. There's nothing short of getting either a new computer, or a real N64, to make it run smooth and perfect.

OP
N

Nathyn

As for Golden Eye, unless you're running the most modern and new hardware, on the newest and highest end motherboard with a 3ghz+ cpu, you will still get slow-down, speed glitches and other artifact style issues. There's nothing short of getting either a new computer, or a real N64, to make it run smooth and perfect.
It's okay, lol. Because actually, I have the game IRL.

Another game I forgot to mention: Perfect Dark.

How could I emulate that?

I'm going to assume that emulating Perfect Dark is the same as with Goldeneye, because Perfect Dark was built on the same engine.

OP
N

Nathyn

The latest version of Glide64 with Hacktarux's wrapper and Hardware Framebuffer emulation enabled can emulate Paper Mario almost perfectly. Your graphics should be able to handle it, but I don't know how fast it will be.
Yeah, seems to emulate it flawlessly...

But like you said, it's slow.

It's usually normal speed, but I get occasional slow-downs during the animated effects and I don't like that.

Oh and also... I forgot to mention. I have an AMD64 3400+. Runs at 2.19 GHz.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Unfortunately, for some of the later games that came out on N64, especially titles like Perfect Dark and Golden Eye, the games lag really bad for emulators... even on a bruiser machine. My system is similar to yours, and I get slow downs in Paper Mario too, which nothing can really be done about shy of turning off sound and doing everything in your power to make the game use as few resources as possible... which ruins the fun. The slow-downs are less annoying.