What's new

Gamecube CD's

Shadow_Echo

Hey guys

Yes, I searched for this, and couldn't find anything on it... I'm new to the forums, and was just wondering (hope this doesn't count as asking about ISO's) if there's a way to get the playable file simply from the CD. I don't want to go out and get a broadband adapter, and there's none within 45 minutes of me anyways, but I just want to back up my Metroid Prime CD, which is starting to take a beating.

All the versions of backing up I've found require a broadband adapter and Phantasy Star Online...

Could anyone help me out here?

Thanks very much!

-Shadow

I just want to know if it's been done :D.

Actually, is it possible to run the game on my computer whilst the disk is in the drive, or something to that effect?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
About how to back it up, we cannot help you on that. There probably isn't another way than you already know, but google is your friend.
You cannot run GC discs in your computer drive and emulation of the game is far too slow to play on the computer and running a backup copy on the GC is a bad thing too. It isn't possible without a chip, and again, we'll not discuss such matters. Take good care of your games! Put them back into their casing after you've played and they should be fine!

Guru64

Not possible. The only legal way to get a Gamecube ISO is by dumping it with a BBA yourself.

Mouser X

Actually, there's more ways to backup your games, other than the one mentioned. Also, I've heard that someone has modified the firmware for DVD drives, which makes ripping GC disks possible on a PC DVD drive. I don't have a link to this news handy, but if you really want one, I'll hunt it down. I've looked at an alleged Red Steel image, in the hopes of extracting the audio. No luck so far, as I can't find any tools that are compatible to Wii games. Of course, it might be a fake as well. I guess we won't know for certain, until someone makes some programs that can manipulate Wii disk images, or until they figure out how to get these Wii images running on the actual system. Please note that I don't intend this to promote piracy. As I said, I wanted the audio files from the game. I have no intention whatsoever of ever actually running this on the real system.

Anyway, hope that answers your question, somewhat. Mouser X over and out.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Actually, I think someone here has to read the rules. We do not discuss illegal matters or anything related to dumping or ripping or mod chips, simply because it can get the community into trouble.

Sercio

even i dump (who already got banned here in this forum for not reading rules exactly) wouldnt post something like that o_O

Xtreme2damax

Actually, isn't backing up a game that you own as legal as you can get? I don't see why it is or should be against the rules or even a rule in the first place to not tell someone how to back up a game they legally own.

I don't see why it is a rule that you cannot tell a person how to back up thier game that they own, just as long as you don't give them support with illegally obtained material. And I see people here receiving support with illegally obtained roms. Backing up your game that you own is much more legal in my opinion than giving support to a freeloader who has illegally acquired the said game

Hell even ngemu allows discussion on how to back up games that you legally own, and ngemu is about as legal a site as they come.

You are entitled to make a backup copy when you purchase a game, if it wasn't legal we'd have people being arrested left and right. If it wasn't legal do you think Daemon Tools would even exist, and is completely legal By the way. Backing up you game or telling someone how to back up their game, is about as legal as emulation is, so why are we allowed discussion on emulation?

Searching google to find the right info is as with any automated search engine, a royal pain in the arse, unless you can be extremely specific which even then isn't always that good.

I have to spend hours searching on google in order to find something, and even then I still don't find what I'm looking for at times, after searching through multiple pages.

I think (Just my opinion) that rule should be changed about requesting help to legally back up your games and that it be allowed.

Just as long as people do not ask where to download copyrighted material, and no support is given to those found in possession of illegally acquired material.

I do think wholeheartedly that support should be allowed to help someone with the process of making a legal backup of a game they paid for and own ;)

No I'm not looking for a ban or to be flamed, this is just my opinion on how I feel, and various input from visiting other emulation websites, and I've come to understand that it's ok and legal to make a backup of something you paid for as long as you retain ownership of the original media.

If a moderator or admin can give me insight as to why it isn't allowed to ask or receive support on how to make a legal backup of something you own I would appreciate it.

Your feedback and insight would be greatly appreciated, and help me understand as to why you don't allow it:bouncy:

Last edited:

chiklit

Your feedback and insight would be greatly appreciated, and help me understand as to why you don't allow it:bouncy:

Probably because it's related to activity that is illegal. And it's one of those things of questionable legality. Like how it's technically legal to backup your DVD, but you need to break the encryption to do that, which is illegal under the DMCA. Just another example of why DRM sucks.

As for why we can talk about emulation but not backing up? If I had to guess, I suppose it's because emulation by itself (afaik) is almost always legal, while issues relating to backing up can be either legal or illegal depending on exactly what you're doing and how you're doing it. It varies from forum to forum, though. Some don't care what you talk about at all, others won't even talk about emulation unless the games are in the public domain. This just happens to be one of the stricter ones on the issue.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Why we don't give out how to rip games it's because a lot of people would use it to either rip games they don't legaly own (borrowed) or just to "share" them to others (where the illegal part comes).

Xtreme2damax

Why we don't give out how to rip games it's because a lot of people would use it to either rip games they don't legaly own (borrowed) or just to "share" them to others (where the illegal part comes).

I can understand that, however there are many people such as me who rip or backup games legally with games we actually own and have no intent of distributing the backup.

Anyways no further questions asked, I was just curious and am sorry if what I said was taken the wrong way ;)