What's new

The Best Emulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iconoclast

This whole Project64 1.7 thing is kind of pissing me off. You guys all overestimate Project64. Everyone thinks that, when 1.7 is released, it's going to make all the other N64 emulators obsolette and drastically improve in ROM support. I am so sick and tired, everywhere I go, seeing that out of these four emulators, Project64, 1964, Mupen64 and Nemu64, somebody just decided to pick some random emulator and call it the best. What annoys me even more is, while they ignore the interesting development of the other three emulators and how they're becomming even better than Project64, they're all excited about PJ64's 1.7 release for absolutely no relative reason.

The only reason why Project64 emulates so well is because of it's graphics plugin, Jabo's Direct3D 8, and probably it's RDB file. If you used Jabo's on any of the other decent emulators, the game would run just as well, if not even better, than how it did on Project64. Even Donkey Kong 64, yeah, Project64's got the intro for that game fixed, but what about the rare DMA crashes and the polygon length flickering glitches? Chances are, Mupen64 and Nemu64 fix both of these issues.

And the features? Project64 doesn't have anything unique about it except probably the GameShark cheats it comes with. Mupen64 is the only emulator that doesn't have a GameShark cheats feature, while it has a stronger core for emulation than Project64, when generalized in perception. Nemu64's got a graphics plugin that can export VRML geometry with textures, which all emulators can load, except for Project64, for some odd reason.;) 1964 and Mupen64, unlike Project64, can assign certain plugins to certain games. 1964 and Nemu64 have NetPlay. But Project64? Nothing unique. In fact, what annoys me even more, is that while NetPlay existed on these two emulators, everyone basically just ignored it. "Ew! 1964 and Nemu64? They suck! I want to play NetPlay on Project64!" So, somebody decided that even a lousy version of Project64, 1.4, was better than these two emulators, and built NetPlay into Project64 1.4, and now everyone's using that! A hacked version that forces you to use a relatively terrible audio and input plugin.

There is no best Nintendo 64 emulator. Project64, 1964, Mupen64 and Nemu64 all have their own advantages and disadvantages for emulating certain games. Though Project64 is actually 'kinda' low in advantage, I still consider it to be a necessary emulator for fixing issues that other emulators don't, just like how vice versa comes true.

Even so, I doubt any of you PJ64-lovers can name a single game that works better on Project64 than any other emulator. Some of you who realize that all of the emulators are equally good, however, might be able to answer this sort of thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Project64, I like it. It's just that I hate this emulator stereotyping, spreading misinformation across the Internet, this spread of pure crap. If I lived under my own roof and had the potential, I'd donate $50 to the Project64 team, no lie. Depending how rich I would be, of course; that's always a factor with most people. I'm not saying it's wrong to donate to the emulator to help improvement and show respect for it, but the overestimation (and disrespect for the other emulators) is just really getting to me. It only shows ignorance.

So, I confront here. PROVE to me that the emulator is best, or exit this thread, having learned the truth. I suppose it's also a possibility that some moderator might even delete this thread. I can only say, those who hide others from the truth, have a truth of their own that they are hiding from themselves. At least in this case.

Clements

Wrong forum for this, and I don't see the point of the thread. Most users here do actually support all the emulators and plugins, and those that don't can keep their opinions to themselves as they are not particularly welcome here.

Status
Not open for further replies.