What's new

Why do the emulators run so slowly?

StevenNevets

Most of us have computers that are much more powerful then gamecubes, correct?
So why does it run so slow?

My guess is that the emulators arn't coded correctly or it has something to do with backround tasks on computers.

Both of those problems can be fixed one way or another.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Because the gamecube is an entire different architecture. It doesn't work like the PC at all. The processor isn't an x86 processor - it's a PowerPC processor. Games are built for the architecture of the gamecube, and therefore won't work on a PC.
To combat this, an in order to play the games correctly, an emulator needs to make the game see the target architecture, the gamecube, and not a PC. If you look at it - everything is different. The processor does not work the way our computer's processors work. Same for the gfx card, and so on.
The emulator needs to convert and process everything so that the game can run as it expects.

Yes, it can be fixed, but it's very hard.

OP
S

StevenNevets

Because the gamecube is an entire different architecture. It doesn't work like the PC at all.

The emulator needs to convert and process everything so that the game can run as it expects.

Yes, it can be fixed, but it's very hard.
ah, that's what I was thinking:plain:

is Dolphin the fastest out right now though>

Doomulation

No, there is another emulator in development called Gekko, but it's not released to public yet. And there is no information as to when it will be.

Kronox!

i don't think that gekko is faster than dolphin.. [i'm not triying to start a flamewar here..] i think GcEmu is the fastest right now. But then again Dolphin is showing signs of life again with Ector posting in the forum and im pretty much sure that others emu authors are going to return to the scene...[not official info xD] Once again about gekko i think it's a great project ATM but i don't think it could outperform Dolphin right now. [i would love to be proved wrong ^^]

Cyas

Kronox

OP
S

StevenNevets

GcEmu won't even open right for me, so I can't say how it runs

Dolphin however is working great for me (slow of course) and I can't get past the start screens sense I have no controller

when it's intense it goes up to 16
when it's intense it goes down to 8
:unsure:

Doomulation

i don't think that gekko is faster than dolphin.. [i'm not triying to start a flamewar here..] i think GcEmu is the fastest right now. But then again Dolphin is showing signs of life again with Ector posting in the forum and im pretty much sure that others emu authors are going to return to the scene...[not official info xD] Once again about gekko i think it's a great project ATM but i don't think it could outperform Dolphin right now. [i would love to be proved wrong ^^]

Cyas

Kronox

It is already running faster than dolphin. Screenshots of this have been proven.

OP
S

StevenNevets

I think you've caused me to have one of Borat's "liquid explosion"...
I'm changing my underpants as we speak.
hmm... so is that to say the private versions of Dolphin are faster then the private versions of Geko or am I missing something
=]

Kronox!

[ahah i love to be proved wrong ^^]
Nice work Ector
looking forward to see some dolphin progress.. even if we need a 64-bit processor xD
Cheers

mariokart64n

hey this is nice news to hear, though i'm more focused on a compatibility hike then a speed increase. functionality over performance i guess, but i'm just happy to hear dolphins still been worked on here and there since the beta ;)

Doomulation

Not if you want to play them, no. But then so again, we don't want to play them at our PCs yet. GC consoles and games are still attainable and thus can be played on the real thing.