What's new

Fps

Kazekage

In the Dolphin emulator, what does the 'FPS' represent/mean?

I know it's probably a little bit of a stupid question, I mean everyone knows that FPS stands for Frames per Second, therefore it would represent the speed of frames being displayed.

BUT I have read that it represents something else, something to do with the CPU, and not the VGA.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
In emulators, it usually refers to Vertical Interrupts per second. It basically means how many times per second it can push out an update of the screen. Since a TV (NTSC) does 60 updates per second (hence 60 Hz), it should be 60 FPS (or VI/s) and 50 on PAL (though 60 on PAL60).

OP
K

Kazekage

Okay cheers.

Could I ask what the difference is between an 'update' of the screen and a new frame?

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Imagine yourself drawing something. To be able to view it as motion, you create (or draw) lots of different pictures and then view them quickly after each other. The picture is a frame. You show these pictures to yourself 50 or 60 times per second, frame by frame.

Let's say you create 20 pictures per second. This means that you'll be able to see each picture 3 times per second. Totally you'll see a total of 20 pictures 3 times in the period of a second.

So, frame = picture. Screen update = show that picture. I hope that makes sense.