What's new

Super Mario 64 Dissolve Effect

bowserjps

Does anybody know which video plugin is compatible with the dissolve effect (e.g.: Mario Teleporting) in Super Mario 64?

Iconoclast

Use either Glide64 or Direct64 as your graphics plugin, and the dissolve effect should work.

If you use Direct64, make sure you enable the "PC noise at resolution" option in the Direct64 Configuration dialoge.

Try out both graphics plugins and see which one works faster.

X-Fi6

Oh yeah, the dissolve effect is NOT compatible with ATi cards using Glide64. You need to disable it in the wrapper settings.

mudlord

Banned
Oh yeah, the dissolve effect is NOT compatible with ATi cards using Glide64. You need to disable it in the wrapper settings.

Wierd...Hacktarux did some pretty arcane fragment shader hacks to get it to work decently and at full speed on ATI cards..Are you using the latest Glide64 update (Gonetz's "update 9" build)?

X-Fi6

That's what I meant--Gonetz's version of the wrapper.

Because one time when I was Super Mario 64 I went and beat Bowser and then after AI talked to him the FPS dropped to 1 and I was like WTH?! I saw how Bowser was dissolving and it was weird. Then I read the thing in this forum and it said:
Gonetz said:
I found that dithered alpha emulation works very slow on ATI cards when GLSL combiner is used (shaders). I can't find good solution for this problem, so I made dithered alpha emulation optional in the wrapper config.
Update 2.
As soon as I disabled dithered alpha and the dissolve effect appeared as transparent instead and didn't slow down anymore.

I don't see why you'd want the dissolve effect. It's just all pixelly and stuff. I like the transparency one better.

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
Oh, I see..Its just that when I remember Hacktarux implementing it, he did quite a bit of work getting it to run without errors on a ATI card..I never knew that the problem wasn't completely fixed..Sorry for the misunderstandings :(.

I don't see why you'd want the dissolve effect. It's just all pixelly and stuff. I like the transparency one better.

IMO, I think its better emulation overall if missing features were emulated (as that same effect is also used in Paper Mario, and some other games), but thats just me.

X-Fi6

Huh? I was using Gonetz's version of the wrapper. It doesn't work with ATi cards when using dithered alpha (the dissolving effect).

I don't know about Hacktarux's REAL wrapper, though.

mudlord

Banned
Last edited: