What's new

Digital Pad buttons are completely ignored in games but detected in contoller plugins

mkanet

For the life of me, I can't figure out why games are completely ignoring my digital pad buttons (I use a logitech cordless rumblepad 2).

I have no problems assigning them to any action I want in both Jabo's Directinput7.1.6 plugin and N-Rage Directinput 8 2.180a.

This was working earlier today. Now, all of a sudden, it's not working. I've tried rebooting. That didn't help. Windows XP/Control Panel/Game Controllers also detects these buttons when they are pressed as well. Its just in all the Project64 Games themselves

Can somebody please help me fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

OP
M

mkanet

I am not 100% certain, but it looks like some games dont support digital pads and some do. Toy story doesnt support my digital pad, but Ms. Pacman Maze Madness does. Go figure..

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
correct, most games are made to use the thumbstick

a coouple of the games i know use the dpad are
Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2
Kirby 64

where as games like
Zelda
Perfect dark
Duke nukem
banjo tooie
etc
all use the thumbstick

what game were you playing exactly?

OP
M

mkanet

Toy story 2 does not use digital pads apparently. I tried a few random games which didnt use the digital pad either (I cant remember the names). However, MS Pac Man Maze madness does use it, so does Tony Hawk 1,2,3.

Luckily, my controller has a little button to have the digital pad buttons act as an analog joystick.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Tetrisphere also uses the Digital pad. Most of the games use the Analog stick and treat the "Z-Trigger" as an "L" button, and that makes it a lot "easier" to work with your left hand in the middle of the controller and your right running the buttons. But yeah, you can always use the analog/digital button to swap back and forth. Just make sure that when you assign your buttons, the "Digital pad" is showing the digital directions as "POV" buttons.

OP
M

mkanet

This may sound like a totally dumb question, but can somebody please send me a link to a picture diagram of the original N64 controller labeling all the buttons. I made my best guess as to what buttons go where on my Logitech RumblePad 2. I am having a hard time playing games with the buttons configured they way they are.

I did do searches on google.com, I just could find anything that was very clear as to what buttons are called what (in order for me to configure N-Rage plugin for Project64)

Thanks!

Tetrisphere also uses the Digital pad. Most of the games use the Analog stick and treat the "Z-Trigger" as an "L" button, and that makes it a lot "easier" to work with your left hand in the middle of the controller and your right running the buttons. But yeah, you can always use the analog/digital button to swap back and forth. Just make sure that when you assign your buttons, the "Digital pad" is showing the digital directions as "POV" buttons.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Here we go. I managed to find pictures of what I THINK is your controller, and drew over it to let you know what goes where. I also have a picture of an N64 controller to start it off. Hope it helps.

Also I have given ~two~ suggestions for the C-Button arrangement. The first relies HEAVILY on the Right Analog stick, and while that IS acceptable, it DOES make it VERY hard to do trick-shots with your arrows and hookshot. For those types of actions, I recommend the use of your L5, R6, Button 4 and Button 5 as I have doodled in for the last picture.

You CAN set "Macro" buttons (Controller>Modifiers) to assign the C-Buttons to the stick in ADDITION to your regular button configuration. If you're interested, let me know.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Heck, I figured I'd go ahead and tell you how to have the right-analog ~and~ the other buttons used for your C-Button pad.

First, open up your controller's configuration panel for N-Rage's plugin.
Options -> Configure Controller Plugin -> Controller 1 -> Modifier

Then click "New modifier". Click the "Unassigned" that appears and under "Mod type" use the pulldown menu to select "Macro". Now you will see a mockup of the N64 controller. You can choose ANY button that you want (Just "check" that button) to from there. Let's just click on the "C-Button" "up" box. You will then want to click on "Assign Mod". Now push the "Right Analog UP" on your controller and the text will change from "Unassigned" to "Z-Axis -". Now click "Apply changes" and you have made the Right Analog UP into "C-Up". Continue this process and you can have the C-buttons assigned to two sets of buttons. This is IDEAL for you to play the songs perfectly on the analog stick, and STILL have perfect button toggle for the weapons and items. ^_^

For me, I decided to make my buttons the MAIN C-Buttons (under the C-Buttons in the main control box), and the right-analog stick into the secondary buttons. This prevented me from having the songs not work.

Here is my configuration. Hope it helps!

Assigned to / Typ / Parameter
GamePad: Z-Axis - / Macro / Cb /\
GamePad: Z-Rotation - / Macro / Cb <-
GamePad: Z-Rotation + / Macro / Cb ->
GamePad: Z-Axis + / Macro / Cb \/

Last edited:
OP
M

mkanet

Holy cow Tre, I'm speechless. I really appreciate you going through all this trouble. Yes, that is my controller :)

It's a good thing you gave me this information. I would have never guessed all of this; actually, you would laugh if you know how far off I was. :)

Anyway, I'm going to take my time to understand what you put in the pictures and see if I can figure out the modifier stuff.

Thanks again!!

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Heh. Think nothing of it. The reason I suggested the above configuration is because I'm using the same thing myself, and it works beautifully. Having the "L7" for Z-Targetting makes it VERY natural for you to target in games using the analog stick. Remember that the Z-trigger was on the bottom and you had to use your left-index finger to hit it, and very few games needed the "L" button for much (in fact, in OoT and MM, you only need it to toggle the map view on/off) So it makes perfect sense for it to swap places and become the L-button instead.

And with the C-Buttons mapped out to individual buttons this way, it's very similar to the Gamecube's controller profile they have for OoT and MM in the Collectors disc that came with it. In that instance the X is your "3" Y is the "4" and Z is the "R6", making for the C-Left, C-Right, and C-Down buttons. Plus it gives you the option to use both the stick and the keys so you are better able to do whatever you need. I like to have my Hookshot set to "3", Navi to "4" (default as C-Up is her), Ocarina to L5, and finally whatever extra item I need (Bombs, Hammer, Ect) to R6.

Anyway, I wouldn't laugh about how "far off" you were. Heck, we all have to have a template to work from.

Hopefully you can get the modifiers working easily. If not, I suppose that we could try using my controller configuration file (it's a .cpf that you load in the controller configuration menus) and see if that lets you do it. Though I am using a genuine PS2 DS controller... you might have to reconfigure some of the buttons.

As for the text in the pictures, just remember that the "axis" only refers to the Stick's position. So assume "Up/Down/Left/Right" for the Up/Down/Left/Right. It will just tell you the position when you have entered it in. It's mostly to ensure you get it 100% right.

Well, enjoy! ^_^

Last edited:
OP
M

mkanet

Tre, I have a few questions:

1) What do the L button and R button do? I'm guessing they aren't used too much or you wouldnt suggest assigning them to L/R buttons that don't match. I actually had them on the L5/L6 buttons.

2) What types of games require a sequence of C buttons? I remember my friend used to play Tekken-type games on his old playstation which required him to learn all these complex key sequences... It would be hard to do that with a joystick! I dont really plan to take the time to learn complex button sequences... just simple zoom in/out things like that. Do you think its still a good idea to have real buttons for C buttons? I have several hundred games, so maybe you can tell me what types of games really need real C buttons instead of a joystick.

3) Play what "songs"? LOL, I have no idea what that means. Whatever it is, I guess using a joystick for C buttons is a good thing :)

Tre

Oops. Died again.
1: In 90% of the N64 games, you will find that the "L" button is an optional button. Like in Mario 64, the L/R button work with the camera view. In The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time, the L button is for the map, and the R button is for the shield. Z-Trigger is used for a function called "Z-Targetting" which puts little yellow triangles around your target and lets you "lock on" to that target until you click it again. However, in some games like Golden Eye, the Z-Trigger is a firing/attacking button. (It fires your gun in 007) and in some games, it is used to block. So you might want to test around in the individual games to see which games NEED the real L-button and which don't. Those that don't? Just use Button 9 for that. I WOULD have kept them on L5/R6 if not for Z-Trigger being more needed in the Analog/Thumbstick games.

2: The most notable games that require the C-Buttons are the Zelda games (for items to be used) and are sometimes used for "Strife" (007 uses this in which the C-Left/Right move you left/right while C-Up/Down aims your gun up and down). I haven't much experience in the fighting games for N64, as I only got mine (the real one) for the two Zeldas. But there ARE some that require the keys to be pushed in exactly. In Ocarina of time for instance, you have to play songs with the C-buttons...

3: The songs I was refering to were a key feature in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. For instance, you could cause it to go from day to night by playing C-Right, C-Down and C-Up. And while you can do that easily enough with the right-analog stick... can you imagine trying to do the "Bolero of fire" with the stick, with the key sequence being "C-Down, A, C-Down, A, C-Right, C-Down, C-Right, C-Down"? Not easy. Which is what I was talking about. But it IS nice to have the stick for the songs ~anyway~ for the easier ones. Plus as I was saying with Golden Eye, if you have the Left-Stick for controlling your movements in the game, and your Right-Stick for the strife function, then you can move WAY easily. And you can always use your left finger to fire your gun.

Hope that explains a few things.