What's new

Zelda Control Configuration Help

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
I've been wanting to play through some of the zelda games again recently, and after a ghastly experience involving a total lack of anti-aliasing and RAM on my N64, compounded by limited access to a TV, I decided to use ROMS to play it on my computer. Anyways, I got NRAGE v2.00 so I can use my mouse, but I'm having trouble getting a good configuration to use. I'll probably end up buying a 360 controller sometime in the future, but for want to avoid spending money and to find a temporary fix, I was hoping that maybe someone has found a good set up for using a mouse on Ocarina of Time. So far, my attempts have either made it really hard to move or really hard to not move. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Iconoclast

Not going to happen, man, sorry. No matter what you do, that mouse is just not the right thing to use to control your game. I prefer using my keyboard over the N64 controller, anyway. You might want to get an Xbox controller and USB adapter to make it work, instead, if you don't want to use the keyboard, either. I tried using a mouse once for Super Mario 64, and I never went back to trying it again.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Finally!!! Someone else that went insane and wanted to test out with the mouse!!! At one point in time I wanted to simply PROVE that it was possible to play OoT with just a mouse and keyboard. I assigned my mouse to the analog, and my C-buttons (as well as alternate analog) to the keyboard. I could post up my configuration settings for you to this forum as a zip. HOWEVER, I haven't bothered using the 2.0 N-Rage plugin anymore since it was giving me some minor troubles. My configuration is for the 1.83 N-rage. If you want it, I'll gladly upload it as well as a "key" to tell you what is what.

I ~am~ using a Three-button scroll mouse however, I should warn you of that. I have assigned the scroll-up and scroll-down as "locked" shield and z-targeting (overrides the default for OoT). If you're interested, I'll still be floating around the forums for a little while longer tonight... just ask.

OP
I

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
Thanks. If you could do that for me it would be great. And don't worry about the mouse, I've got a giant logitech with 4 middle buttons (including scroll wheel) and two side buttons.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Okay, I've gone ahead and uploaded to this post the rar file with my .cpf file. You'll want to unzip that in your PJ64 folder (It should be named "Keyboard + Mouse (Custom Macro)" when you unzip it), and then under "Options>Configure Controller Plugin" select to "Load profile" and mine SHOULD be visible if you look for it in the PJ64 folder.

And to make it a LOT easier to see what I've done there, I've gone ahead and made a "legend" to tell you what buttons are what. Mind you that you CAN change these settings to your liking!! (Note that I have put all manner of settings on ALL of tabs, hence the breakdown!)

>>Main tab (Controller 1, Controls)

Digital Pad:

Up - Keyboard: Home
Left - Keyboard: Delete
Right - Keyboard: Page Down
Down - Keyboard: End

Buttons:

Start - Keyboard: Num Enter
A - Keyboard: Num Del
B - Keyboard: Num 0
L-Trig - Keyboard: Num 5
R-Trig - Keyboard: Num 3
Z-Trig - Keyboard: Num 1

C Buttons:

Up - Keyboard: Num 8
Left - Keyboard: Num 4
Right - Keyboard: Num 6
Down - Keyboard: Num 2

Analog Stick (IMPORTANT TO KEEP THIS!!)
Range: 65% [Real N64 Range ON]
Config 1 [On] Config 2 [Off]

Up - Keyboard: Up
Left - Keyboard: Left
Right - Keyboard: Right
Down - Keyboard: Down

>>Second tab (Controller 1, Devices)

Mouse:

MouseSensitivity: 100%
Absolute X [Off] Absolute Y [Off] (If you turn those ON, then you will have Link running off of things because it won't STOP moving that direction until you tell it to with a ~quick~ movement in the other direction or the same one "twice")

Keyboard:

Absolute X [Off] Absolute Y [Off]

Gamepad settings

Device: None [DeadZone: 5%]

Rumble:
[All off, unless Windowed mode, then Visual Rumble [On]

>>Third tab (Controller 1, Modifiers) [THIS is the MOUSE part!!!]

Assigned to | Typ | Parameter | Special |
Mouse: Button 00 | Macro | B | Toggle [Off] |
Mouse: Button 01 | Macro | A | Toggle [Off] |
Mouse: Button 02 | Macro | St | Toggle [Off] |
Mouse: Wheel + | Macro | Z | Toggle [On] |
Mouse: Wheel - | Macro | R | Toggle [On] |
Mouse: Y-Axis - | Macro | As/\ | Toggle [Off] |
Mouse: X-Axis - | Macro | As<- | Toggle [Off] |
Mouse: X-Axis + | Macro | As-> | Toggle [Off] |
Mouse: Y-Axis + | Macro | As\/ | Toggle [Off] |

(MANY apologies for the horrible chart, I stink at charts!)

>>Fourth tab (Controller 1, Controller Pack)

RawData [On] Rumble Pack

Now it is IMPORTANT to note that the mouse WILL require you to constantly be moving it around for Link to move with MY settings. You will have to have a Rollerball mouse to be able to get the absolute "best" mouse experience, but this SHOULD suffice. ALSO those Macros are set up so that you can use BOTH the keyboard and the mouse properly WITHOUT breaking the controls. I broke the controls in previous settings, and this is the best one. Hope it works well for you.

ALSO you WILL need to use the 1.83 version of N-rages plugin because this is not configured to be used on the 2.0.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Shoot, don't like having to double-post like this, but editing will take too much time. The buttons (00, 01, 02) refer to this order:

00 - Left-click
01 - Right-click
02 - ScrollWheel-click

ALSO, if you are REALLY good with the mouse, you CAN perform the "Spin-Attack"!!! You need to do a VERY rapid counter-clockwise 360 rotation of the mouse, followed by the Left-click. It takes some SERIOUS practice, but you might be able to pull it off. As for your other buttons, you could always assign those to Macros (for optional things like Z-Trigger and R-Trigger (Z-Target and Shield)) under the third tab. Just click "New Modifier" and then select in the pull-down menu "Macro" and assign the button (Joypad breakdown is visible there) to a part of the controller, and hit "Assign" and press your button. Takes some getting used to, but it's a really simple process.