What's new

Where can I get a Zelda OoT translating tool?

SeymourOmnis

Or does a such thing exist? I've seen many OoT translated roms, and I would like to translate the game myself.

Thanks in advance.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What you've seen are official translations, not fan translations. The only N64 game that has been fan translated so far it Sin & Punishment and that was done by retexturing. If you know exactly how the text data is stored in the ROM and know how to hack the game effectively, then you might have a good start at translating OoT. I don't think retexturing will help you much with OoT because of the way the letters are handled in the game.

Last edited:

D.Farougia

What you've seen are official translations, not fan translations. The only N64 game that has been fan translated so far it Sin & Punishment

What about "Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (U) (V1.0) [T+Dut].z64" (and all others zelda OOT translated) ?

Agozer

Ok, you got me. Is that 100% complete? Still, that doesn't change the fact that translating an N64 ROM would require a lot of hacking and I'd also assume that the tools required are far from being n00b-friendly.

TRS

Here you can download a complete howto to translate Zelda OOT and MM.

All credits go to Anton, not me. I only started a dutch translation a few years ago, but then my wife got pregnant (twice) and now we 3 children so I have zero time for it.

You can read my conversation with Anton here

Good luck! (you will need it cause there's a lot of text)

oh yeah:
What you've seen are official translations, not fan translations. The only N64 game that has been fan translated so far it Sin & Punishment and that was done by retexturing. If you know exactly how the text data is stored in the ROM and know how to hack the game effectively, then you might have a good start at translating OoT. I don't think retexturing will help you much with OoT because of the way the letters are handled in the game.

That's far from correct. Anton has 100% translated both OOT and MM in russian. He did text AND graphic translation without retexturing (all complete rom-hacks)

Last edited:

Agozer

He did text AND graphic translation without retexturing (all complete rom-hacks)
Yes, I didn't think for a second that you could translate MM or OoT with just simple retexturing.

It would also be great if you told Anton to send his translations over to Romhacking.net, since that is the place where most well-known rom translations, hacks, etc. are hosted.

Last edited:

TRS

It would also be great if you told Anton to send his translations over to Romhacking.net, since that is the place where most well-known rom translations, hacks, etc. are hosted.

Why don't you send him a PM? He is also an emutalk-member...

Anton's profile

Don't know if he's still active though....