What's new

Zelda OOT -

A.I.

Banned
I started getting this error with Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (U)
(V1) Compatible. It occurred when I pressed start to access the items menu:

Buffer overrun detected!
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

Now the game crashes and I get this error:

Runtime error!
This application has requested to terminate it in an unusual way.

I am using Rice Video Plugin 6.1.1 beta 10 in conjunction with the Federelli's high res texture pack.

I never had any problems before but recently I've been playing around with the texture settings so maybe I changed something I shouldn't.

In particular i changed the basic options/N64 Frame Buffer/Write back & Reload so I can see Link's costume in the item's menu which worked in the past. There is, apparently a 'torrent" which fixes this problem as mentioned in the hi res text projects forum but I cannot find the link.

I somehow think this is related to my problem as the game used to work perfectly until I pressed start. Now once the textures have loaded the game instantly crashes. So I changed all the settings back to default but that didn't do anything.

I have no problem using Jabo's Direct 3D8 1.6 Video plugin, though and other games using high res textures aren't affected either, only Zelda doesn't work.

Could somebody please help me?

BUMP!!!! :angry:

Maybe It's my fault I forgot to include a catchy title to grab people's attention, something insanely interesting like 'greased nipples' or gone for a more dramatic effect like 'hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllp me!!!' but I really thought somebody would have replied by now to a serious and debilitating problem that is affecting me emotionally and physically in the bedroom department (nah, only kidding!) but I do really need somebody; a professional gamer or a Mr Know it all or even a n00b with advanced ESP powers - anyone!!! - to provide me with the answer to my own personal da Vinci code that is stopping me from playing Zelda OOT using high resolution graphics which justified my decision in upgrading my video card and RAM in the first place.

Meanwhile 'important' threads like '1.7' which are repeated endlessly in different incarnations seem to get more response even though they usually end up been locked, like I guess this one will be eventually because it falls under the too hard basket of difficult questions that is easier to be swept under the carpet of banality than to be seriously addressed because it take too much time to figure out and of course it's easier to answer a superficial query any day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iconoclast

Sorry that you feel ignored. Sometimes, I feel the same way on this site. I suspect it"s just that your emulation problem is unusual compared to the other threads, and no one really knows how to answer your problem.

I have never seen that error message before in my life. I don't think configuring high-resolution texture packages will screw up your emulation of the game, but, then again, I don't even know wtf a high-resolution texture package is. The forum here, named after these projects, has threads that make absolutely no sense to me.

Have you tried using a different graphics plugin? Will Glide64 work for the game? If you still want to use Rice"s, that"s fine, but I just want to see if your problem is based on Rice"s plugin or your PC.

In particular i changed the basic options/N64 Frame Buffer/Write back & Reload so I can see Link's costume in the item's menu which worked in the past. There is, apparently a 'torrent" which fixes this problem as mentioned in the hi res text projects forum but I cannot find the link.
o_o...I shouldn't have read so fast. I see what your problem is. That"s where you screwed it up. When you start a game that has Write Back and Reload for its Framebuffer option, sometimes, for games like Zelda, it won't even start successfully.

I know how to fix that. In the Plugin subfolder of the emulator you're using, open the file 'RiceVideo6.1.0.ini'. Now, press Ctrl+F, and search for 'Legend of Zelda'. Should take you to Legend of Zelda ROM entry right away. Change this line:

FrameBufferEmulation=5

To this:

FrameBufferEmulation=7

This is the recommended frame buffer emulation setting chosen by Rice, so you probably shouldn't pick anything else.

Although, I still think Glide64 will do a much better job of emulating this game than Rice"s Video Plugin.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
Thank you very much for replying, Iconoclast. My faith in humanity is now restored.

Glide 64 works but some textures appear to be blacked out. Jabo 3D8 1.6, however, works fine. It's just Rice with Zelda OOT that I'm having trouble with. It's strange that I am getting these errors. I just wish I knew why. Bizarrly, the runtime error finishes with a message to contact the PJ64 support staff!

Edit: O.K. I changed the line: FrameBufferEmulation=7 and I stopped getting the Runtime error but I am still getting the buffer overrun error when i press start to access the item menu screen!

BTW I deleted the ini thinking that by changing my settings back to default it would fix the problem but it didn't. Is that a bad thing to do?

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Thank you very much for replying, Iconoclast. My faith in humanity is now restored.

Glide 64 works but some textures appear to be blacked out. Jabo 3D8 1.6, however, works fine. It's just Rice with Zelda OOT that I'm having trouble with. It's strange that I am getting these errors. I just wish I knew why. Bizarrly, the runtime error finishes with a message to contact the PJ64 support staff!
Since a moderator merged my posts, you may or may not have caught my update. I assume you did, but to make sure: Did you catch the second half of my post? It wasn't that long before, I know.

So, the problem is your Rice"s Video Plugin INI configuration file. Again, my previous post was updated after you first read it, so check it again for details on how to fix the problem.

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
Yes I did! Read my edit.

You know, I wondered why my Bump post was merged with my original post. I thought it was a glitch on my behalf! Now I know better! It's nice to know people out there are listening!

Iconoclast

Ah, see, thats why I don't like this 'merge all consecutive posts' rule; not only is it too picky, but it causes miscommunication, or at least as long as I'm involved....
Edit: O.K. I changed the line: FrameBufferEmulation=7 and I stopped getting the Runtime error but I am still getting the buffer overrun error when i press start to access the item menu screen!

BTW I deleted the ini thinking that by changing my settings back to default it would fix the problem but it didn't. Is that a bad thing to do?
Really? You even deleted the INI configuration file, and you are still getting the error? No matter what configuration I use, I'm not getting this "buffer overrun" error you're talking about, so I suspect it may be your hardware. IDK...I can only say, use Glide64. And those issues you said Glide64 gives you...that shouldn't happen. IDK why that happens, it may be the version you downloaded or your hardware, but I don't really know.

Yes, deleting the INI configuration file wasn't a very good idea, but no loss. This is my INI configuration file for Rice"s Video Plugin, if you want to see if that works.

FileSend - RiceVideo6.1.0.ini

If that doesn't work, try using a different PC to see if you still get those error messages, or just use Jabo"s Direct3D 8.

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
Ah, see, thats why I don't like this 'merge all consecutive posts' rule; not only is it too picky, but it causes miscommunication, or at least as long as I'm involved....Really? You even deleted the INI configuration file, and you are still getting the error? No matter what configuration I use, I'm not getting this "buffer overrun" error you're talking about, so I suspect it may be your hardware. IDK...I can only say, use Glide64. And those issues you said Glide64 gives you...that shouldn't happen. IDK why that happens, it may be the version you downloaded or your hardware, but I don't really know.

Yes, deleting the INI configuration file wasn't a very good idea, but no loss. This is my INI configuration file for Rice"s Video Plugin, if you want to see if that works.

FileSend - RiceVideo6.1.0.ini

If that doesn't work, try using a different PC to see if you still get those error messages, or just use Jabo"s Direct3D 8.

Thanks for the ini file but im still getting that blasted buffer overrun message!
I have tried several versions and i get the same result: Buffer overrun detected! As for my hardware I don't think so, it was working perfectly before. And this is the only PC I got.

I still believe it's to do with the basic option settings I changed. Could you possibly send me the link which has the correct settings to enable me to see Link's costume in the item menu screen or even better the cheat 'torrent' that fixes it? I can't find it anywhere - there is mention of this in the texture project forum but i can't find the (thread) link! Whatever, I need this issue addressed! Surely some brainiac out there knows the answer, like Clements?

Clements

Ah, see, thats why I don't like this 'merge all consecutive posts' rule; not only is it too picky, but it causes miscommunication, or at least as long as I'm involved....

Double or Multi consecutive posting is a minor forum misdemeanour common to most boards, and here it is also against forum rules since it can be abused.

See 9th Rule in this list:

http://www.emutalk.net/talk-town/21490-emutalk-net-rules.html

Some tolerance is allowed for bumping, but the edit button is there for a reason. I merge all posts I see in forums I moderate.

Last edited:
OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
Double or Multi consecutive posting is a minor forum misdemeanour common to most boards, and here it is also against forum rules since it can be abused. Some tolerance is allowed for bumping, but the edit button is there for a reason. I merge all posts I see in forums I moderate.

Sorry Clements, never wanted to break the rules out of spite it's just this built up frustration of not finding the answer to my problem that is causing me great discomfort...

Iconoclast

Double or Multi consecutive posting is a minor forum misdemeanour common to most boards, and here it is also against forum rules since it can be abused. Some tolerance is allowed for bumping, but the edit button is there for a reason. I merge all posts I see in forums I moderate.
Oh, no, that"s okay; I wasn't, like, angry at your or anything. I double posted this time because I thought it would increase his likliness of catching my update. If I just edited my original post, I was afraid that might not get his attention. Now that I think of it, though, I suppose that isn't that likely...I just didn't want to take any chances. Bumping is different, but if he never bumped this thread, it would never have caught my eye. I was only trying to say that, sometimes double-posting enforces communication. Although, with my other posts outside of this thread you merged, that didn't apply, so I can understand merging those. Anyway, I understand, you were just doing your part.

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
Well now all the double posting chanagans have been cleared up could somebody please help me with my original problem? I am still getting the buffer overrun error everytime I press start to access the item's menu! It's driving me crazy!

This is a serious conundrum which should be addressed! Surely somebody out there has an idea what the problem is? You would think this enigma would have a N64phile licking their lips eager to solve it!

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Sorry, man. You know I don't know what that error is. I can only say, unless someone else posts here and knows the root of your problem, it could be something to do with your hardware, since that doesn't happen with me when I press Start. If no one can help, I can only say, try Jabo"s Direct3D 8.