What's new

Monitor ghosting?

A.I.

Banned
I have a 17 inch Viewmaster crt monitor and i am getting ghosting. How do I get rid of it? I have tried the monitor's settings but i cant find the config to sharpen the image. Where is it?

Is it somewhere in the Nvidia control panel?

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Monitor ghosting is the result of your monitor's response time being slower than the frames per second (actually in this case, frames per millisecond) on the application you are running. How to fix it you ask? Buy a new monitor. Sorry but thats the only solution, your problem is strictly hardware and no software can solve it.

However, what you are experiencing is not ghosting, the reason I say this is because CRT monitors don't ghost... ever. Ghosting is a symptom only affecting LCD monitors due to their "capacitor" design. I don't know what you think you are seeing but it isn't ghosting.

Last edited:
OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
Actually, it's not ghosting but magnetic lines which comes and goes which is really annoying. I think its from speaker wire which dangles behind my monitor and is touching it so I moved it and taped it to the wall. Its about 20 cm from the monitor now but at least its not touching it. The thing is I'm still getting this magnetic line in the middle of the screen which fluxiates and I also get magnetic ghosting from my curser and basically everything.

When I first turn on my monitor while I eat breakfast it's not so promient but after a few hours it gets worse. Howver today it hasn't been so badly behaved so I'm hoping it has learnt its lesson and that it is slowly dissappearing from sight. The monitor must have a good memory cos the line is still appearing but hopefuly it is getting forgetful and the line will leave and go to Antartica or some place cold....

smcd

Try degaussing the monitor and checking that your speakers etc are magnetically shielded? click here if not and you don't mind doing some work / are on the cheap.

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
BTW try to connect your monitor to another computer - it can be video card.

I just remembered I got a ADSL Modem Router on top of my computer. That puts out a magnetic field, doesn't it? That wouldn't be good for the computer, right?

Allnatural

A strong magnetic field would cause distortion near the edge of the screen (depending on the location of the field), not a "magnetic line in the middle of the screen" as you describe it.

Without pics it's hard to understand exactly what you're seeing, but here's two possibilities:

1. Artifacts from a failing video card. I had an old card that was overheating and it produced horizontal pink lines all over the screen.

2. If it's an aperture grill monitor, you may be seeing the stabilizer wires used to keep the grill from vibrating. These show up as faint lines running horizontally (1-3 lines, depending on the size of the monitor).

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
A strong magnetic field would cause distortion near the edge of the screen (depending on the location of the field), not a "magnetic line in the middle of the screen" as you describe it.

Without pics it's hard to understand exactly what you're seeing, but here's two possibilities:

1. Artifacts from a failing video card. I had an old card that was overheating and it produced horizontal pink lines all over the screen.

2. If it's an aperture grill monitor, you may be seeing the stabilizer wires used to keep the grill from vibrating. These show up as faint lines running horizontally (1-3 lines, depending on the size of the monitor).

Well it must be no.2 - it describes my problem exactly and besides my video card is brand new (or was two months ago)

So what can I do? Is this a known problem with the CRT monitor? Or is it simply getting a little too old in the tooth now? (its nearly three yrs old) Is it a case to fix will cost more than a new monitor? If so I think I will eventually upgrade to LCD (wnen money flows from the sky) Im the meantime, I wont sit so close...

Allnatural

Well it must be no.2 - it describes my problem exactly and besides my video card is brand new (or was two months ago)

So what can I do? Is this a known problem with the CRT monitor? Or is it simply getting a little too old in the tooth now? (its nearly three yrs old) Is it a case to fix will cost more than a new monitor? If so I think I will eventually upgrade to LCD (wnen money flows from the sky) Im the meantime, I wont sit so close...
It's just a drawback of the aperture grill design, the price you pay for what is (according to some) better image quality. Nothing you can do about it I'm afraid.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah that is actually a design flaw in the monitor style. If it bothers you, your only option is to get a new monitor. If you can afford it I would highly reccomend an LCD since the prices are dropping and you can get a nice 19" LCD (21" CRT equivilent) for the price you paid for that 17" CRT of yours. Samsung's 931B is the hot item right now. Samsung probably has the best quality and long lasting monitors you can get IMO, and I've heard that from circuit city and best buy reps as well. You will definately have a "shock and awe" moment when you realize how terrible the colors on your CRT really are. When I got my LCD (I got the 930B), I never knew that my CRT was not very good until I compared the two.

Flash

Technomage
Yeah that is actually a design flaw in the monitor style. If it bothers you, your only option is to get a new monitor. If you can afford it I would highly reccomend an LCD since the prices are dropping and you can get a nice 19" LCD (21" CRT equivilent) for the price you paid for that 17" CRT of yours. Samsung's 931B is the hot item right now. Samsung probably has the best quality and long lasting monitors you can get IMO, and I've heard that from circuit city and best buy reps as well. You will definately have a "shock and awe" moment when you realize how terrible the colors on your CRT really are. When I got my LCD (I got the 930B), I never knew that my CRT was not very good until I compared the two.

Ho-ho, from designer's point of view colors on most LCD displays suck.
I'm not a professional designer, but i have digital camera and when i tried to edit photos on LCD monitors, i've ran into troubles.
Professional CRT displays are really cheap these days.
High-end CRT displays is better than midrange LCDs in every aspect except size.
I've bought LaCie Electron 22blue IV for less than $500 and happy with it.

P.S. There's a few LCD displays that better than CRT at native resolution (all LCDs still suck at lower resolutions and that's important for most people here -
we are emugamers and retrogamers :D) - i have NEC LCD2180WG-LED-BK at work. It doesn't hurt my eyes even after 10 hours of work, perfect сolors - simply greatest LCD monitor ever. But so is the price - $6700.
And i don't think that LED backlit LCDs will become affordable soon.

As for Samsung's 931B - it's damn too bright that's why it shows server console in the corner right now :)

Flash

Technomage
Yep, never liked those "-tron" СRTs - not only annoying horizontal lines, but
also aperture grill is very sensitive to vibrations, it's not a good idea to shake a monitor with aperture grill CRT.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well it is up to A.I. of course, and what he wants to do. However you should know that Flash mentions designing and well thats a more specific application. LCD's today have bright vivid colors and are perfect for gaming, in addition... I do a lot of photo restoration, and LCD's using DVI cables I find are much easier to calibrate to your printer than a CRT. CRT's colors tend to vary as they age and the tube wears, LCD's colors will remain constant for as long as they last due to their capacitor design.

As for the Samsung being to bright, perhaps Flash doesn't know about the brightness setting. It even has modes you can put it in for Internet, Text, or Game. The monitor is bright at its maximum setting, but that is why it is customizable.