What's new

Zune

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
With the release of the newest "iPod Killer" merely a week away, I think it's time to stir the shit and see what kinds of debates pop up about the Zune.

I personally am in favor of it. I've been following it semi-closely, and looking at all the reviews and pics etc. These have been the best in my opinion (the following are links):

Engadget Pic Gallery
Complete Interface Walkthrough

As the interface walk through shows, at least in my opinion, it's a large improvement over the iPod. It's larger, clearer, crisper, and a bit flashier. I also like the quick scroll feature shown when navigating through multiple artists, where a large version of the first letter of the artist pops up. The ability to share music between Zunes is also nice, and the fact that it is firmware upgradeable to later allow wifi PC syncing, as well as a built in music store is a wonderful feature.

At 30 Gig capacity, for 249, it stands to give a iPod a good run for its money, a better chance then most even. I'm personally going to pick up a black one from work. What are you guys thoughts on the new device?

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
It would have been a strange move by Micro$oft to have come out with a portable media device only a few years ago. Alas, times have changed and here we are.

The 'community' aspect of the Zune seems like a cool idea... being able to share songs and pictures will be cool. The radio is a bonus, the screen looks ok for watching movies. If anything, the competition will force ipod and others to work harder towards a better product.

yegosimo

Bug Killer
The Zune is just... too big.
Imagine yourself running with that thing... I prefer the iPod (I have a Nano)
Also, the Zune will probably inherit it's Microsoft heritage: Bugs.

euphoria

Emutalk Member
I think that moves like this one have some sort of legitimate reasoning within the company that isn't always appearant to the media or consumer. You can't always take news like this at face value.

Definetly a pisser though, way to screw your customer base Microsoft.

Legitimate reasons my ass, if Microsoft really wanted to do something it would. You can always buy yourself out of contracts.

But it doesn't matter whether it's Microsoft, Apple, Sony or some other big company, they'll always fuck us users over.

I'm still waiting for a player that would play all the goddamn music formats there is and would be just plain USB memory with no proprietary databases.

smcd

This demonstrates a major flaw in DRM-controlled music. You pay for the "right" to listen to a song, but what if its being crippled is incompatible with offerings in the future? Do you have to re-buy the song simply because they think you should? It costs them basically nothing to have a master unencumbered copy of the song and apply an updated DRM to it and allow you to redownload it (as you've already paid once) and yet they don't like this idea... digital formats allow very large amounts of flexibility and the only thing major companies want to do is hinder the benefits to make it worse than older alternatives.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
I'm still waiting for a player that would play all the goddamn music formats there is and would be just plain USB memory with no proprietary databases.

I hear that. The last software I installed with a media device was "SonicStage v.2", the baine of my previous computers existence. I had to convert all my mp3's into ATRAC or some retarded ass Sony format so I could put it on my minidisc player... doubling the size of my music library.

Toasty

Sony battery
I hate M$ and I hate DRM so, by extension, I pretty much hate the Zune as well. (I know, it's not mandatory that the music you put on a Zune is controlled by DRM, but anything that even promotes DRM is the devil in my book.) IMHO, both the Zune and iPod are both horribly overpriced, too.

A.I.

Banned
I got a 128MB Creative MuVo MP3 player and i´m happy with it.

Yeah, I have a 512MB Omni MP3 Player and I would be lucky to listen to it for more than a hour!

While a 30GIG I-Pod would be nice it's not essential. Portibility is not an issue for me. Most of the time I listen to music on WMP anyway.

Last edited:

yegosimo

Bug Killer
I have a 4 GB iPod and I do care about the size, not more than capacity.
I wouldn't like to have a Zune, it just wouldn't fit in my pocket.