What's new

P64 is slow all of a sudden . .

Guywiththegun

I'm running Project 64 on a laptop. It's nothing special, in fact, it's pretty crappy (like 900 mhz, S3 Twister K, 16mb video card) . . but for years I'd get games from Mario 64 to 1080 Snowboarding, hell even Perfect Dark (choppy but playable for the most part) to run. I played Mario 64 daily, making it to 120 stars . . all at a full 60fps.

Now, it's sluggish as hell. Even Mario 64 will get 60fps for 5 minutes TOPS before dropping significanly in performace. We're talking 15-20 fps max. It doesn't make any sense. Just months ago I'm getting near perfect emulation with these games and all of a sudden they're unplayable!

What steps should I take here?

Clements

As it is an older laptop, you might want to only use PJ64 plugged in with Power Management stuff disabled. The laptop could possibly be throttling down under the temperature (PJ64 uses a lot of CPU resources, especially with computers with slower processors), causing the speed to decrease after about 5 minutes under load.

Make sure your laptop is on a hard surface with good ventilation. Also, make sure you laptop is fairly up-to-date with regards to drivers, DirectX, service packs and other updates.