What's new

Lazy Programmers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaraDePau

Im just wondering, I think all dolphin programmers are lazy! Its has been a while since there is no more update and when u check some posts, some of them say that the computer is the problem. AFAIK, Inter or AMD is not going to do a processor for your source (the same source they said will be free source). They dont have to do a processor compatible with your program, but U have to create a program compatible with their processor! Check the posts they all say that your computer is weak. My computer is not weak, weak is your brain that cannot remove unnecessary lines from the code to increase its speed. if my computer is weak, i wouldnt play all my games with full AA8x and anisotropy 16x with maximum quality. It seems that they stopped to wait for new processors. Check the PS2 coding team! they are doing a great job! And Plz dont tell me that speed is not a priority: I AM NOT A CHILD!

Lightning

Emulator Developer
Some specs so you can see the differences.

The PS2 runs at 294Mhz. The Gamecube runs at 485Mhz (1.6x faster)
The PS2 graphics chip runs at 147Mhz while the GC graphics run at 162Mhz (1.12x faster)
The PS2 sound chip plays the equiv of a wav file while the GC sound chip is 81Mhz with custom DSP processing loaded by the game.

If I recall correctly, the PS2 graphics chip is similar in design to what is in your PC while the chip on the gamecube has it's own custom command structure, that is byte aligned causing memory penalties, that has to be processed thru.

The GameCube also runs a PowerPC processor while the PS2 runs a MIPS processor. The MIPS processor has limited branching ability (good for emulation) and limited instructions (also good) while the PowerPC has alot of instructions and a wide range of branching possibilities. The PowerPC can also do floating point math which is expensive.

Now add to that the requirement that you re-parse all data going to the graphics chip instead of just byte swapping it, then toss on top of that emulation of the dsp sound chip as it also has it's own instruction set, compared to dumping out a wav equivilant stream.

Considering that top of the line PCs run about 3Ghz, that gives you 6 instructions on the CPU (3Ghz / 485Mhz) to parse and execute the PowerPC instruction, without account for video or sound.

Now, if you wish to further tell why gamecube emulation is poor, then please point out how to enhance the speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.