What's new

audio CD problem - useful information

wgary

It is very sad there is still not a solution for the problem of bootable game image being recognized as audio CD. The people who are trying to help just do not know what the real problem is and assuming the people asking for help are doing something wrong. The truth is:

It is a bug in Chankast 0.25. Here is my proof:

I have a game image of Resident Evil: Code Veronica which came along with chankast 0.2a when I downloaded it. Since I have a habit to check for the newest version whenever I install a software, I downloaded chankast 0.25. The point is, Chankast 0.25 could not play the game (recognized it as audio CD) while Chankast 0.2a worked just fine. The same bios files were used.

That happened about one and a half years ago. If I did not remember wrong, I was using DaemonTools 3.46.

I did not play that game at that time because my computer was old and could not run the game smoothly. And now I want to play it but I get the ioControl error. And therefore I came here and search through the posts. It is very sad that nobody really solved it and the many people on the forum were just deriding other people being silly. I usally do not post message on a forum, but this time I feel necessary to say something for the people who have the same problem. Please, think thoroughly before you begin deriding others.

I have tried the FrogAspi approach on Chankast 0.25 and there are no more ioControl errors, instead I have the audio CD problem now. Switching back to 0.2a is not an option because it cannot use the aspi plugin. And I do not want to simply switch back to Deamon 3.29 before I try something else. I'm trying to figure out if there is another way. I'll tell you guys if I find some solution.

BTW, my symptom now(using 0.25 with FrogAspi, Daemon 4.03) is the same as the others who have the audio CD problem: for each image, Chankast thinks there are two tracks, the length of 1st track is shown as 00:00, and variable lengths for the 2nd track depending on the image.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You really shouldn't have to opt to use FrogASPI when you have two CD-ROM Interface plugins to choose from. Especially on Windows XP.

In any case, I agree that Chankast has more than its fair share of problems when detecting game discs.

OP
W

wgary

You really shouldn't have to opt to use FrogASPI when you have two CD-ROM Interface plugins to choose from. Especially on Windows XP.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite get it. The other plugin "CDRom Interface xxx" doesn't work for me and generates ioControl error. If I use "CDRom Interface aspi" then i need to use FrogAspi or other aspi driver. Or do you mean there is another CDrom plugin out there?

The FrogAspi approach is the most easiest thing to try. All I need to do is to download the dll and put it in the Chankast folder and change Chankast to use the aspi plugin. It doesn't change anything in my system.

And what do you mean by "especially on windows xp"?

BTW, the FrogAspi approach works perfect for me. I can run every utopia loader image out there, which contains a windows recoginzable file 0LOAD.BIN after I mount it, but not the self-boot game, which is not recognized by windows after I mount the image.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Well, the CD-ROM Interface xxx plugin uses IOCTRL for CD-ROM drive access so it should work without any hitches on Win2000/XP machines. The ASPI plugin uses ASPI which it's supported in Win2000/XP without installing ASPI drivers. As far as the ioControl, it's a double-edged sword. Most people have been able to solve this simply by using the xxx plugin a perhaps downgrading to DT 2.39, and they've never had to use the ASPI plugin. Myself included.

So the gist of it is that *most people never have to worry about not being able to read from the CD-ROM drive because we have two plugins to choose from. The rest of the problems are Chankast's fault no doubt.

AHMED_RYU

well that proplem happened to me just know in both versions .25 and the .20a i guess i am gonne try the bootable thingy and also the chankast cheater doesnt work with the chankast alpha v.25 dont know why while it works great with with v.20a also the game buster codes r strange and diffrenet from the code breaker codes and also dont work 2 hope a new version come up and slove it all thx dudes