What's new

Mac OS X Boot Screen???

yegosimo

Bug Killer
Ok, I downloaded an app called FlyakiteOSX v3.5 (Freeware) that modifies you Visual Style, Login Screen, Turn on/off thing, adds a the typical OS X taskbar, etc, etc.
I managed to install skins for Firefox, Winamp and WMP and it's kind of sorted out... I have a Mac.. lol
But the thing is that I can't find any OS X Boot Screens..., so it's really weird when booting b/c it says "Windows XP..." and then it becomes into a Mac...
I want to fool people completely, so do you know any OS X Boot Screens that i could get in order to fool people ??? :p
Here's a pic of my desktop (attached)

BTW: The app is awesome... try it
FlyakiteOSX

Last edited:

BlueFalcon7

Does your CPU support SSE3? because if it does, you can use OSX86 and install boot camp. Thats really all I can say about it.

But you did a horrible job at fooling me. First of all, the folders dont look right, second of all, the fonts are not bold or anti-alaised, third, theres no "Computer" icon in the top right corner that looks like a hard drive, and lastly, theres no dashboard.

Miretank

Lurking
FlyakiteOSX sucks major ass.

There's a Transformation Pack called WinOSX 2.06 or something like that. Use THAT and you'll feel like running a Mac.

As for your boot screen, there are applications which allow you to change the screen (like Bootskin or Tune Up Utilities 2006). Or you can reshack the ntoskrnl.exe and change the bootscreen yourself (but don't do that if you never played with shells and deep deskmod before, or else you'll end up fucking up your computer.)

plus: Also, if you feel like modding your XP appearance to become a Mac like, it's better you to change your icons and to use Styler Toolbar. Explorer toolbar does not look cool even with mac buttons.

Last edited:
OP
yegosimo

yegosimo

Bug Killer
Does your CPU support SSE3?

I don't know what that is...

But you did a horrible job at fooling me

Actually I didn't do any job, I just installed the patch. I just looked for some skins for Firefox, Winamp and WMP...

Or you can reshack the ntoskrnl.exe and change the bootscreen yourself

I had trouble with that file...
After restarting the PC it said "Windows cannot run due to a missing or corrupt file, ntoskrnl.exe"
Then I booted with the alternate OS (Win 2003), got the file from the Win XP CD, but it didn't work either. (Copied it to System32 folder, the original file wasn't there)
After some moments of desperation I copied the 2003's ntoskrnl to XP's System32 folder... it was about to work, but it ended up in a black screen with a flashing "_" in the corner...

Tomorrow some friend of mine is borrowing me his XP CD (because mine is a little scratched), so I will Repair the OS to see if that could solve the problem.

Why did I get that error message???
Will I have the same problem with WinOSX???

Last edited:

Miretank

Lurking
You have probably changed some wrong bitmap there, ntoskrnl is EXTREMELY sensible with images and string tables. There are things you need to do first, before messing with system files. ;)

Anyways, I suggest you to go to DeviantArt and download a bootscreen (some people uploads their modded ntoskrnl, you can get one and replace yours with the new one. It shall work).

BlueFalcon7

SSE3 is an instruction set in x86 CPUs. Im no expert in this area, but from what I do know, SSE3 is used for some of the optimizations required to run Rosetta which is a power PC emulator. Unless you have the package that your CPU came in, you probably wouldnt know if your CPU supports SSE3. To find out, you can use this program. It tells whether your CPU supports SSE, SSE2, and SSE3.

The reason I ask, is because if you use OSX86, there will be no fooling anyoody, because it will be the real thing. Darwin needs the SSE2 set to boot, and you need SSE3 for Rosetta. The rest of it, I cant really talk about, but google can ;)

OP
yegosimo

yegosimo

Bug Killer
To find out, you can use this program. It tells whether your CPU supports SSE, SSE2, and SSE3.

It says on "Instructions": "MMX, SSE, SSE2"
So yeah, I suppose that it won't support SSE3 :unsure:

You have probably changed some wrong bitmap there, ntoskrnl is EXTREMELY sensible with images and string tables. There are things you need to do first, before messing with system files. ;)

Anyways, I suggest you to go to DeviantArt and download a bootscreen (some people uploads their modded ntoskrnl, you can get one and replace yours with the new one. It shall work).

I didn't mess with the system file. The patch did, and the error was then caused by it.
It's a shame I didn't know that I could get that file from the Web, because I already tried to Repair Windows, but I couldn't because my CD was too scratched and couldn't keep on with the setup... know everytime I boot on my XP it goes to the Setup screen, so I have to get another one somehow.

Last edited:
OP
yegosimo

yegosimo

Bug Killer
Thanks, but as I said before, I already started, and failed the Repair Tool on the Win XP CD, so I must finish it... (get another CD b/c mine is scratched)
But anyways, I'll keep it there, just in case ;)

BTW... Does WinOSX have any trouble like that one? I read on the support forums of FlyakiteOSX (some minutes ago) that the problem keeps going on and on, so you have to restore the file EVERY TIME you reboot the machine... That's annoying

Miretank

Lurking
I uploaded it because it'll be easier to replace than restore the system. :)

'bout WinOSX, nope, it won't give you any problem, I can assure that. And it's way more effective than flyakiteshite thing.

OP
yegosimo

yegosimo

Bug Killer
OK, I have just repaired XP and installed WinOSX
This Transf. Pack is way better than the other one... thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, and it's got a Boot Screen ... :D

Mods... you may close this, my questions and my problems were solved :)

Last edited: