What's new

Direct 3D failed to initalize...

GoldCow64

Ok well my bro is having a problem with his project 64. I don't know too much about it but he just gave me these error messages:

Initiate GFX: Exception error happened

Click OK then:

Direct 3d Failed to initialize your HAL device. Make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with direct 3D 6.0

OK:

Failed to Initialize Graphics

This happens when I try to run the Project 64 exe shortcut. After these error messages come up the little window the games comes up, when I try to open Super Smash Bros, though, I get the same error message.

I already tried doing a little research by searching on Google without any luck. People told me to run dxdiag and look in the Display tab but everything looks fine. I didn't think much of the problem when the program didn't work on our old computer, but even when the game was tried on this new computer the same error message still popped up. And I'm almost certain that I have all of my drivers up to date (I use a program called Driver Detective and it doesn't show any out of date drivers). So I'm pretty much stumped.

So does anyone have any idea how to fix this. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Most of us really don't care about the gritty details of your computer specs or where we could buy each part. Just the basic specs will do. If I didn't know better, I'd say that you on your way to being classified as a spambot.

In any case, when was the last time you updated your graphics card drivers? You should probably try updating DirectX to the latest version.

OP
G

GoldCow64

Well when I run dxdiag there doesnt seem to be a problem. On that dxdiag window it says my direct X version is 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Doesnt Direct X stuff update automaticaly anyways with Windows Update? Direct X is made by microsoft after all...

Edit: I just downloaded the latest version of Direct X and im still getting the same problem.

OP
G

GoldCow64

Ok, well either way, I just downloaded the latest version of Direct X manually and i'm still getting the same problem...

Any other suggestions?

OP
G

GoldCow64

What is Jabos video plugin? Does that come with Project 64 when you download it or should I get it?

O yea and I forgot to mention this, but on our old computer the game use to work and then I guess one day it just didnt.

I looked through that link and it talks mostly about updating drivers but like I said before im pretty much certain that I have the most up to date drivers and even more so certain since I just ran that program Driver Detective and it didnt report any old drivers.

And would reformating a computer probably fix this problem? I know you would probably advise against it but it really isnt a big deal and im probably going to do it tonight anyways. I just would like to know if you think it would work and what to do after the reformating and instalation of windows to make sure that it works afterwards.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Jabo's plugins come bundled with Project64. You won't find them anywhere else.

Last edited:
OP
G

GoldCow64

Alright, well then I really don't see a solution. I really hope that reformatting and reinstalling windows will solve the problem. Cuz I need to get it fixed by Monday or my bro wont help pay for FiOS for 2 months :p

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
your likely using SP2's default built in drivers,.. these are basic drivers for just running desktop stuff.

you really should install the latest video and sound drivers.

also disable and Java applications that might be loaded as this WILL prevent PJ64 from detecting 3d capability

OP
G

GoldCow64

Ok, well I just reformatted my computer and installed direct X and then went to the NVIDIA website and got the driver for that. I am still getting the same error though.

Help please!

EDIT:

Ok well I just went and changed my color to 16 bit color and that got rid of the error. Now, however, im getting a different error:

Zip Error: unzOpen(C:\Full Programs\Emulators\Nintendo 64\roms\Super_Smash_Brothers.Zip) failed

Im not sure where this is coming from. I dont even have a C:\Full Programs directory.

I just did a google search and it doesnt find any directory called "C:\Full Programs"

Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
G

GoldCow64

Yea my bro kinda took it from there. Just had to download a game.

Ok well thanks a lot for the support guys. FiOS is coming my way :)