What's new

Dual Channel RAM questions

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
1. How much performance is lost without using dual channel? if you guys like to, you might re-arrange your memory in your mobo slots and benchmark a little. I don't see any benchmarks of that around.

2. I know that if you use only 2 memory dimms one should be place in slot 1 and the other one in slot 3 and they have to be exactly the same (clock, latencies). My question is if you use 4 dimms, and they have the same clock speed and latencies, however 1 and 3 are bigger than 2 and 4 (see the pic below). Would you lose dual channel?

Yeah when you "misplace" the RAM the performance is slower so you gotta test it around while it's on and when you misplace it (for example, a 512 RAM) becomes 334 for example so doing some switching around is good if you want to know why it loses performance...

Lightning

Emulator Developer
Read the documentation about the motherboard. Some makers require that all 4 memory banks be the same to keep dual channel mode enabled, others will disable the dual channel on the memory that is mis-matched, and yet others will only enable dual channel mode on 2 positions and nothing else. The true answer is read your motherboard docs (or look them up online).

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
The boost in computer performance can be seen with dual channel memory. While the results aren’t breath taking, they do offer improvement for nothing. Running dual channel only means getting two memory modules instead of one, and setting them up correctly. If you want dual channel memory you can buy the dual channel pack or two of the individual modules. They will perform exactly the same. The price should be the same, or the two smaller modules may even be less.

Throwing twice as much RAM on the same amount of stick can cause a price increase. The only downside may be other factors relating to the memory, such as overclockability. You will only be able to run the memory at the speed or the worst stick. So if one of your modules can run 100 MHz faster then the other, it is stuck on the slower speed. If your computer supports dual channel, there is no reason why you should not be running it. Just remember that getting match pairs of memory, or even the dual kit, will save you a headache.

Good article but it doesn't answer my specific case stated above. I would like to know Clements, ScottJC, or Doomulation opinion about it if possible. Any more opinions are welcome of course

xneoangel

Persona User
Extracted from ASUS M2V User's Guide(My MOBO):

"For Dual-Channel configuration you may:
Install identical DIMMs in all four sockets
or
Install identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1(yellow sockets)"

So by that i guess that if you install a identical pair in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 and also install another pair of DIMMs of the same latency and speed of the first pair but bigger size in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 you lose dual-channel.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
t0rek said:
1. How much performance is lost without using dual channel? if you guys like to, you might re-arrange your memory in your mobo slots and benchmark a little. I don't see any benchmarks of that around.

2. I know that if you use only 2 memory dimms one should be place in slot 1 and the other one in slot 3 and they have to be exactly the same (clock, latencies). My question is if you use 4 dimms, and they have the same clock speed and latencies, however 1 and 3 are bigger than 2 and 4 (see the pic below). Would you lose dual channel?
To my knowledge, Dual Channel is just that - Dual Channel. That means two memories work together. Preferably they should be exactly the same, but this might vary from motherboard to motherboard.
The placement of the modules, as already explained, is up to the motherboard manufacturer and different companies do differently. So read the manual.
Now, if you have two 1 GB sticks and two 256mb sticks, it should work if you team up the 1Gb and the 256mb separately. There is no quadruple-channel (meaning there is no technology to bind four memories together; only two).
Dual Channel doubles the memory transfer rate (somehow :p), so when not using it, your transfer rates is cut in half. Does this have an impact? Yes and no. A certain processor requires a specific amount of bandwidth from the memory to work Dual Channel, two sticks would give TWICE the bandwidth they would if not Dual Channel. If you have a higher bandwidth than required, you receive no benefits. If you have too low, however, your performance suffers. So if you have enough RAM, Dual Channel is useless.

This is what I have gathered from Tech Sites and assimilated. Hope that helps.

Jakob

evil *******
Dual channel ram controllers works, as doom mentioned, by doubling the bandwidth, it does this by taking two sticks of ram that lets say have a 64bit wide data bus each(that is they can transfer 64 bits, or 8 bytes at a time), if you pair them together and split off the first 4 bits of each byte to the first stick, and the last 4 bits to the second, then together they can transfer not 8 bytes, but 16 bytes at a time.

You may be wondering how a 64bit processor can make use of 128bits of a data... Of course, now is about when you should be realizing that your cpu runs at a much higher clockspeed:D Additionally, you should make sure your ram is clocked at a divider of a whole number, ie: if your CPU is 1.8GHz, you should run your ram at DDR 333, not DDR 400, as 333 goes into 18000 5 times where as 400 goes into 18000 4.5 times, which can cause increased latency and more wasted cpu cycles