What's new

Swapping OS on the fly

Zoomer

Is it possible to "Alt-tab" between operating systems ? Ex- a utility that allows you to switch between operating systems on the fly. So you could have, saaay - instances of XP, Vista, and Linux all running at the same time that could be "alt tabbed whenever you please"

Heard of something like this before -- I think it was called a Virtual desktop or something. You could "switch between virtual desktops".

Anyways, links & info appreciated.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Only tool I know that does anything close to this is something called HyperOS but its not free, their website is http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/ - it doesn't have them all running at the same time as that would be stupid waste of system resources - running one system is hard enough for your PC without three of them using the memory and processor power. I've never used Hyperos but i've heard of it.

Virtual Desktops is not a switch between operating systems, that has nothing to do with what you want. Virtual Desktop applications just hold windows and stuff in memory - its a far cry from an operating system.

Toasty

Sony battery
You can run an operating system from inside another operating system through a virtual machine, which is basically the same thing as an emulator. If the virtual architecture is the same as the host architecture (for example, running x86 on x86) there are optimizations that allow the virtual machine to run about as fast as the real thing. There's only one operating system that's really running natively, but you can still dance around from OS to OS without having to restart.

I think Virtual Desktops are good to use but you should have a decent system to use virtual desktops because they take RAM and processing power but it has features that an original OS couldn't like taking sticky notes and minimizing a window to the system tray and customize a lot of other stuff.

The best virtual desktop in my opinion is probably Window Blinds. You could get it in http://www.stardock.com/

Last edited:
OP
Zoomer

Zoomer

Thanks for the info on HyperOS and Virtual Machines.

Have you tried any of the Virtual Machine software packages out there ?

Toasty

Sony battery
I haven't tried them out very extensively, but I'd try QEMU (free), as it reports close-to-native speed when used with the QEMU accelerator (also free to use). The price is right anyway.