What's new

How well does the best emulator work out there?

realworksuks

I haven't tried any of these emulators for probably 4 years or so. It didn't work well enough for me then. I was wondering... what is the best emulator out there for the 64, and how close it is to the actual 64. I mean snes and nintendo have perfected emulation in my mind. How close is this to perfection?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Project64 or 1964. Emulation is less accurate because of HLE and it's not close to perfect either. that being said, many games work "perfectly". If there are problems, the graphic and/or sound plugin is at fault. A few games don't work at all thanks to emulator core/video plugin inaccuracies.

Zoomer

If you have a good video card, then by using 1964 or Project64 your N64 games will actually look waaaay better graphically. Many will even play better too.

So to answer your questions
- use 1964 or Project64
- for most games, these emulators will run better & look nicer than a real n64

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Nonsense. They'll look worse than the real system ;)
Anyway, count in Mupen64 too. Some games work in Mupen64 better than in Pj64. Dunno about how they compare to 1964, though.

Zoomer

Then not to mention if you apply a high resolution texture pack to your game, like Zelda for example -- your graphics could be 2, even 3 times better than the actual 64.

Doomulation

Aye, it is. I feel that the computer graphics is just too sharp and too spiky. I liked how the n64 did it and that blurred effect on the screen that the PC does not emulate.
And mupen64 works better with Glide64 with its framebuffer notification.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
To each their own, after seeing a sharp high-res look of Banjo-Kazooie - I turned on my n64 one day and was horrified at how bad it looked in comparison. If you want the blur go to 320x240 and use tv-out.

legend of zelda

Just another Zelda fan
You know, i can believe this, but i don't even remember what games look like played on an n64. that's true though, that emulation is less acurate because of hle, but it does have some advantages over lle.

urso

ScottJC said:
If you want the blur go to 320x240 and use tv-out.

I would actually like to see it as it looked on the tv- so I set to 320x240 for fullscreen, right?- and where do I find the tv-out option?

thanks

Doomulation

You get it all wrong. You need to output the image TO the TV. Then you should see a somewhat similar effect.

urso

ah, I see. I was thinking of some other emulators which have a "mimic tv screen" option, thought that was what you were referring to...