What's new

Processor temperature

NoeOM

Mankind Member
Hi,

I have upgraded my system from a P4@1600 Mhz to a P4 Prescott running at 3 Ghz. The processor is now hotter than before and I am considering upgrading the termal solution too, even when it is designed to work with P4 up to 3.2 Ghz.

With low system load, the CPU temp is about 58ºC (135º F), but i used to run a highly CPU consuming process in the backgroud, being the CPU usage always of 100%. If I do that with the new processor, the temperature is about 80ºC and I think this is excessive.

What is the normal operating temperature that this kind of processor must be in, working at 100% for several hours?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Holy shit dude. If the temps go past 60-65 C, you have a serious problem. Get more fans and get your CPU heatsink and fan checked/replaced.

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
you need to get some termal compound on that or you will burn it up also make sure that the right heatsink and fan are on there tight

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
If things get too heated, you will know because the fans will go high speed and the noise is terrible ;)

Slougi

axcc123 said:
you need to get some termal compound on that or you will burn it up also make sure that the right heatsink and fan are on there tight
Actually you want only a very small amount of thermal goo. Just enough to fill all those microscopic dents etc.

80⁰ is pretty high, but not all THAT high, eg some laptops routinely go to 95⁰ under heavy load. I would still advise adding some extra cooling and trying to bring the temp down to at least 70⁰ - 75⁰, as that will be much easier on the CPU.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Actually the prescotts are known for their extreme heat, i'm on 54C when idle and 68c when busy but believe it or not the operating temperature of this processor is 72C and my system is stable so I am not worried at all.

60-65 C is a serious problem for Athlons sure, but for the prescott it is an normalcy, especially with the stock cooler. (Yeah Prescotts heat is a joke) My system is a year old and I play lots of games on it so case in point.

80C however does seem a little high, you might want to get that checked out, 70C is pushing it but 80C is potentially dangerous. In fact its so dangerous my Bios would actually switch itself off way before that. The processor is designed to run under a lot of heat but 80C is beyond its operating temperature.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Prescott has a safety feature that will force it to underclock itself if it goes ~72C to prevent damage a bit

You could literally cook your breakfast on a prescott they are just THAT hot, rediculasly hot, If I had known it was such a problem I might've chose something else but meh, I have a "As long as it works I don't care" policy.

Last edited:

revl8er

That Damn Good
I had my athlon xp 3200 running at 90c. I never did figure out why it got that high, because i have a volcano 10 fan on it but now it is going at 50c which isn't too bad.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
There are some BIOS that report temperature wrong as well. For example MSI mobos are known for that, my old socket 939 had problems reporting temperature that get fixed shutting down and turning on the PC (not rebooting). Aprentice's mobo has the same problem as well

OP
NoeOM

NoeOM

Mankind Member
Yes t0rek, I have consider that, but I have a Gigabyte motherboard. Even, the 4th revision of the board BIOS (that I have already installed) includes a fix for correct temperature measurement of Prescott processors!

I think that the "thermal WHITE paste" (I don´t know the name of that stuff between the processor and the heatskin) is not good enough. I'll look for something with more silver.

Thanks everyone.

BlueFalcon7

ScottJC said:
You could literally cook your breakfast on a prescott they are just THAT hot, rediculasly hot, If I had known it was such a problem I might've chose something else but meh, I have a "As long as it works I don't care" policy.
I heard about a guy who cooked an egg on either a motherboard or some modified heatsync with an old computer. He used a pentium 2, and somehow got it beyond 1 GHz and the egg was actually cooking. then he overclocked it about 200 MHz more, and something caught on fire. I dont know if its true or not, but I heard it somewhere.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I have an Asus P4P800SE running a Prescott 3.2Ghz at stock speed with the included HS/FAN combo. I use Arctic Silver 5. The unit is in a Antec P180 case.

41c idle
53c under load

Not too shabby considering it's all air cooling. If this ever went near the 65c mark, I would definitely start considering a better HS and fan as that's just to hot IMO.

Here's a link to the proper way to paste your CPU with AC5. Make sure to read down to the section on P4 CPU's. they are done differently then you would on CPU's with an open face core.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm