What's new

Intel 815

simukas

See i have a intel 815 motherboard(and integrated card) iand i can't get games to run. I tried Windows ME and 2K, installed directX9 or 8 but i still get errors about my direct x? What's the matter?

Daniel15

Make sure that you're running in 16-bit colour mode. The Intel i810/i815 doesn't support graphics accelleration at 24-bit colour.

You can check this by right-clicking on the Desktop and choosing 'Properties'. Once the properties box comes up, click on the 'Settings' tab. If the 'Colour Quality' dropdown box is set on 24-bit, set it to 16-bit.

After changing this, I got my i810 working fine with Project64. I was actually suprised at the quality and how fast it runs (considering most games don't like the i810). My post at http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=37322 might also be of assistance to you :)

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
theres no such thing as 24 bit colour, that was dumped along time ago.

your thinking back to the S3 Trio era.

you only really get 16 and 32bit modes now. (24 was not a true mode)

Daniel15

squall_leonhart said:
theres no such thing as 24 bit colour, that was dumped along time ago.

your thinking back to the S3 Trio era.

you only really get 16 and 32bit modes now. (24 was not a true mode)
The Intel i810 and i815 still have a setting for 24-bit:
intel810e.PNG

;)

They don't support any hardware accelleration at 24-bit, always giving 'Unable to initialise DirectX device' or similar errors. Using a DVD program with 24-bit colour selected will give you an 'Unable to create overlay' error

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

...thats wierd, i had to maintain my high schools computers and they had 915 and 815 chpsets and they all had 32bit.

tried updating your drivers?

24bit colour isn't a supported colour mode in Dx8

Daniel15

tried updating your drivers?
Yep, I have the last drivers that Intel released... Maybe it's because I'm at 1280x1024? (It's the native resolution of my LCD screen).

Anyways, it doesn't really matter, as I'm using 16-bit anyways ;)

squall_leonhart

no its not the monitor, thats strange... 24 bit colour was dumped when Dx8 was released. it didn't provide enough colours to handle 32bit pixel shading...hmm... thats extremely strange.

squall_leonhart

not true, as i have myself experienced on both my old high schools and ex gf's systems that the 815 (might have been 845) and 915 chips do have 32bit colour modes.

dazey238

Yeah it's true - listen to Daniel15! :)

The Intel 810/815 are DirectX 7 based (or is it 6?) and definitely only go up to 24 bit (I've had machines with both 810 and 815 chipsets, poor sod that I am!). But as Daniel says you just need to make sure you switch down to 16-bit to get N64 emulation going. 845 and 915 are later versions and will have 32-bit colour.

Also, I bet you haven't got an AGP slot on your motherboard? Most of the Intel 810/815 based boards didn't come with one, which means you'd have to get a PCI card instead. These tend to be expensive (£30- £40 for a decent one) and it really isn't worth it as the performance isn't enough to warrant the cost! You could plump for a cheap Voodoo card instead from eBay - read on.....

The best plugins to use for these chipsets on either PJ64 or 1964 are -

1) Rice's latest excellent plugin (6.1.1 I think - this seems to give best compatibility)
2) Glide64 and eVoodoo (also both great)

Do NOT use Hacturux's wrapper with Glide64 as it converts the Glide calls to OpenGL - and OpenGL support on these Intel Chipsets are rubbish. eVoodoo converts to Direct3D which is better supported. OR you COULD go on eBay and pick up a Voodoo2 card for peanuts (don't pay more than £5 or $10 including shipping!) which will allow you to use Glide64 natively without eVoodoo. This will give the best performance, and will allow you to play the most games. Also, the author of Glide64, Gonetz, is still working on it to improve compatibility!

I have PJ64 running on a P3 800 with Intel 815 graphics, (my Voodoo card doesn't fit in my SFF case!) and it's perfectly acceptable - just bear in mind that not EVERY game is going to work! :) Also, be prepared to lower the screen resolution a bit (remember that you can go down as low a 320x200 if need be!).

Most people these days (especially on here) have Radeons and Geforces and tend to think that there's no way that such a lowly chipset can do the job, but it just takes a bit of effort to set up - people tend to forget that Corn could run Mario64 and Zelda on a Pentium 233 and Voodoo1 card!

Last edited:
OP
S

simukas

tnx u all. i just swiched to 16 bit and everything works.. i also got XP... It works at full speed now.

ifound that i have an old Ati 3d Rage II card a in my closet.. could that help with zelda? mario?

I'm using Xp now..

Last edited by a moderator: