What's new

Recommended controller?

Waddi

I’m currently using an Adaptoid with an N64 pad, which has been fantastic, but I am now running many more emulators including ZSNES, Kega and MAME and MAME in particular requires analogue triggers for many games which the N64 pad does not have.

I have been looking around at various alternatives and pretty much decided that a wired Xbox 360 is probably the best available in terms of build quality and support. The problem I have with it is that the button layout ideal for Project64. I can map the c buttons to the second analogue stick which for most games is fine as they are used to control a camera, but I know that some games (Killer Instinct for example), use the c buttons as buttons and this is a problem.

Can anyone please let me know what Xbox 360 button layout they would recommend and if anyone can suggest a more suitable controller (probably not Saitek as I have read some not great reviews) that would be a great help. I have already looked into using an Xbox controller and also a PS/2 but these also have problems with button layouts.

Regards,

Chris

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i use a modified xbox type-s controller with XBCD and i've set my triggers up to be Z- and RZ- so i can use both at the sme time.

with this config
Left trigger - Z
Right Trigger - R
Left stick button - L (press the thumbstick down)
A-A
X-B
B and Y aren't used.
Start - Start

use the rght thumbstick as C buttons.

my advice
download and install XBCD + the 360 patch, then use these profiles

you may need the patched Nrage plugin to use rumble support.

Last edited:
OP
Waddi

Waddi

Thanks for your layout, pretty much what I though except because the Xbox 360 controller has two triggers plus L and R buttons, I will probably map the N64’s L and R to the Xbox 360’s L and R.

Doesn’t mapping the c buttons to the second analogue stick cause problems when playing a game that needs these to be buttons? I know that Killer Instinct does and I also heard that Zelda does (need to press two buttons at once). Do you know if these are the only games that do?

Chris

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Where exactly does Zelda require you to push two C buttons at once? Besides, if a certain game depends heavily on the use of C buttons, just assign the C-buttons as A,B,X,Y. It's better to have multiple controller layouts for different games than try to find a single one that works perfectly for all games.

Granted, the one squall posted works well enough for most games, where C-buttons are mostly used for controlling the camera.

Last edited:
OP
Waddi

Waddi

I only heard that Zelda at one point requires two buttons to be pressed, but I don’t know for sure so thanks for clearing that up. In Project64 can you save different control layouts for each game or must you change manually?

Agozer

Waddi said:
In Project64 can you save different control layouts for each game or must you change manually?
Depends on the input plugin. N-Rage can.

OP
Waddi

Waddi

So which games use the C buttons as buttons and not to control a camera?

Also, I have just plugged in a friends 360 controller and Project64 recognises it and looks like everything works okay except rumble. squall_leonhart you recommended I download XBCD, why do I need this?

Last edited:

Agozer

squall_leonhart said:
well not exactly Agozer,

it can save different layouts to a file, but not per game.
Yes, that's what I meant... Did I miss something?

erustad

dragon tamer
i actually use a saitek rumble forcep2500, and i like it quite a lot its setup is very close to that of the ps2 controller, which is my fave setup so it works well.