What's new

Why do you offer local images/forum management

MrDetermination

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could tell me about how this place is run. Something that almost troubles me is how you can justify the bandwidth for people images, and why you would want to?

On the subject of images. I know this costs you a ton in bandwidth, and we all know most message boards make you have off site hosting. Why did you choose to sport that cost here. I can see it for video problems, it being nice to see what is going on... but for avatars, screenshots, etc. That's really generous of you.

On the subject of management. Who runs/ultimately sports the bill for this place? Why do you do it? Just as an extension of your hobby... so that you have a turn based place to talk to your other development chronies and fan/user base? It's a pretty impressive effort.

Thanks, I guess is in order, for all the above.

BTW I'm "from" the ArsTechnica.com forums. That is to say, I call it my "home" on the Internet. Ars is a technology and PC enthusiast community that always seems about to pop. But we keep making room for more. If you have any tech questions or PC/Mac/Linux questions at all I encourage you to seek help there. Several great minds at your disposal all in one great place... kind of like here :)

Martin

Administrator
Lots of questions, I'll try to answer most of them. :)

tell me about how this place is run

The Emulation64 network (check my signature) has got its own dedicated linux server. We're allowed 400GB of monthly transfer, and we're paying a fixed fee each month for this.

On the subject of images. I know this costs you a ton in bandwidth, and we all know most message boards make you have off site hosting. Why did you choose to sport that cost here. I can see it for video problems, it being nice to see what is going on... but for avatars, screenshots, etc. That's really generous of you.

Well, first of all, it's a nice feature for our members. Secondly, we have never transfered more than 400GB on a month, so we don't have to pay any extra for it (so far). Right now, EmuTalk uses 700MB of server space, and transfers on average about 1GB per day. :p

On the subject of management. Who runs/ultimately sports the bill for this place?

I'm paying for the server, and I also manage it with help of my good friend and server admin Stuart aka Braveheart. My other right hand is Redah, another good friend of mine, who helps out a lot, too. :). Ad revenue partially pays for the server fee, the rest from my own pocket.

Why do you do it? Just as an extension of your hobby... so that you have a turn based place to talk to your other development chronies and fan/user base?

Yes, it started out as a hobby when I started Emulation64.com with a couple of friends ages ago. It's still a hobby, of course, but there's a lot more to it today. Anyway, after a while we started hosting sites of our own and eventually got our own dedicated server. We're hosting the official message boards of many emulators at EmuTalk, so there's a lot of knowledgable people around such as authors and other programmers.

It's a pretty impressive effort.

Eagle

aka Alshain
And I'd like to add, the vast majority of us greatly beyond words appreciate the time, effort, and money that Martin has put into this forum and emulation64.com