What's new

C coding

MisterE

Hello,

Little bit off-topic. I hope some can give some info about programming in C. At this moment i have some Delphi experience but i want to learn c also to improve my skills.

What's the best (easiest) way to start. I have some tutorials and tried msvc but this is not object oriented ??
I can't seem to find how to place components unlike BorlandC.
I heard also about djpg (somelike) delorie.com ?. Is this easier, faster etc.?

Is c so much more difficult then delphi? i think that using the WinAPI is more simple with C thenwith delphi? the variable types are often converted. People told me always that delphi is harder than VB, but i don't agree, i find it much easier, and i like the 'Try' statements, i assume c does not have them??

BTW: i still often hear that c code is faster than delphi generated code, most c coders think it like VB, it is'nt; they are REAL executablkes.

BTW2: is there someone also willing to help me a hand on a delphi sample i'm busy, it has a TListview where a user can add files (they are stored with pointers to a record). this works, but i want to enhance it with a second list (TreeListView) so there can be a 'directory' like view to the files. Hope you understand what i mean....

sorry about my english :(
hope someone can give some advice !!

thanks,

o yeah, i think i change the core of pj64 soon improving
the dynamic re-compilation......NOT !!! :)
i'm just realistic ;)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
C isn't object-oriented. C++, however, is.

C++ code IS probably slightly faster that Delphi/Object Pascal, because it's been around longer, as has had for time to get optimized compilers made.

DJGPP is a DOS port of the standard Linux C compiler, GCC. DJGPP/MinGW/Cygwin are very good compilers, but as I understand it is very hard to use the Windows API via them. I don't know personally, tho, 'cause I'm still learning C++ and am not to that point yet.