What's new

geforce4mx vs geforce 3 (original) vs geforce3ti200

sk8bloke22

roll for life
is it worth getting a geforce4mx...i can get one for under £100. will be much better than my geforce2 gts. and also r my specs too slow...i dont really use my pc like i used to.

cheers m'lady

Remote

Who knows, I think the answer is in your own post. A couple of months ago I used my computers mainly for gaming, nodays it's for programming and the occasional, not always apprecative session of retro gaming. If you buy a new card today, and use it every now and then it's a waste of money and if you'll get hooked again in a year of two your hardware will be obsolete, if you really don't have a need for it... spend your money on a couple of pints...

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
Remote said:
Who knows, I think the answer is in your own post. A couple of months ago I used my computers mainly for gaming, nodays it's for programming and the occasional, not always apprecative session of retro gaming. If you buy a new card today, and use it every now and then it's a waste of money and if you'll get hooked again in a year of two your hardware will be obsolete, if you really don't have a need for it... spend your money on a couple of pints...

fair point. pints it is. :D i think i can get a good trade-in price for gf2gts, so i only really need to pay like £20ish...i dunno wateva.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
yea, i wasted about $300 when i last upgraded, now I just IRC, make web pages, word process and web surf. The only graphical program I use is Half-life and PJ64 for testing, my hardware is way to high for this and i'm thinking of trading it in for a laptop.

Allnatural

If you want the latest technology, skip the Geforce 4 MX. It's just a juiced-up GF 2, with none of the pixel or vertex shaders that make the GF 3's and 4's what they are.

Just in case you plan on playing any future games.:)

adi

get out of my house
Then what should a guy who wants to upgrade to a decent card without paying a lot of money get? I've got a geforce2mx at the moment but I'm incredibly confused at what would be a worthwhile upgrade to it.

2fast4u

call me whatever u like but id say u could still stick to the gf2mx for quite a while. should be largely a waste of money to buy a new gfx card in the next months.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
i'm thinking.. next video card i get will be an ATI Radeon 8500.. it's a whole lot cheaper and comes close to the GeForce 4 cards..

http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/march02/rad8500vsgf4/

sure.. the GeForce is faster.. but wtf.. when your doing over 100fps who really gives a damn.. as long as it does over 80 fps in the benchmarks and has most of the stuff the GeForce card has.. i'm happy with it..

oh and btw.. the Radeon card is also faster in the highest resolutions using FSAA on some benchmarks.. sadly didn't seem like it was the case on Q3 but it was still doing really good compared to other cards i've seen.. wich is pretty good overall anyways.. coz when gaming you really wanna have those nice antialiased edges and etc :).. the Radeon also has some features the GeForce don't have.. that i bet will be very well wellcomed by game developers..

Last edited:

gokuss4

Meh...
umm no. try getting a geforce 4 ti4200 it costs $200 and has more features than a gf3 and gf4mx. it is not as good as the 4400 or the 4600 but its better than a geforce 3 ti500 :), it has better performance and more features including more graphic features (it may not be as fast as the gf3 ti500, but id go for graphics and features)

Slougi

sk8bloke22 said:
so the gf4mx has not gf3 features...i doubt its just a spiced up gf2.
exactly. the gf4ti has some new stuff though, but mainly more speed, nothing revolutionary. If i would choose a card now i would go with some kind of gf3, maybe wait a few weeks for the gf3ti500's price to drop a bit.

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i think im gonna wait till after my exams, and get a new motherboard, ram, processor and graphics card. its just that if i trade in my gts now, ill get a reasonable trade, whereas in like 4 months time, it'll be worthless...

Angechu

Computer wizard :)
Heres the scoop:

GeForce 4 TI Series is the leap up from the GeForce 3. The GeForce 4 TI 4200 is better then the GF3 TI500, and thats that.

The GeForce 3 (original) is better then the GF3 TI200, but the GF3 TI500 beats it.

The GeForce 4 MX is a GeForce 2 w/ higher speed and more memory. It lacks the double vertex shaders of the real GF4 Ti. Dont waste your time with it, really.. its a peice of trash.

Radeon.. mm.. Ok, the GeForce 4 beats the pants of it though :)

It all boils down to price, if you can afford it, go GF4 TI, if you cant, go GF3 or Radeon.

-Angechu