What's new

Running Vista Beta (Longhorn)

Avi1231

Hello,

I've searched about and there's not a whole lot on the subject.

Anyways, to the point, I have been running PJ64 for quite a while. It worked fine. I played Goldeneye, a bit of Road Rash, Zelda: Ocarine of Time, and; of course; Super Smash Bros. They all worked beautifully on my Toshiba Tablet PC (1.6 GHz intel proc, intel integrated graphics, and Windows XP).

I installed a Windows Vista Beta and now everything's gone to crap. I click the change controller plugin settings item in the menus and I get a PJ64 has stopped working error from Windows and the program closes completely. My computer is fine but PJ64 is gone completely (no process running, no nothing in the task manager). The same applies to when I double click a ROM in my rom list. Any ideas?

PS- If the PJ64 team sees this and they would like someone with a Windows Vista Beta to see if the beta version of 1.7 works I would love to help. I would have tried 1.7 already but I don't have much of a cash flow so donating isn't really an option for me currently. Maybe when I have a job over the summer.

vtnwesley

I've played with the Vista betas as well. I think two things are at work here. 1.) Some compatibility may be broken in Vista, and 2.) the Vista betas can't be trusted to run games or anything video card related yet.

I say this because I tested all of my PC games and emulators in Vista. All Direct Draw based emulators ran at less than half speed (Nestopia, ZSNES, Visualboy Advance, etc), and most of the Direct3D and OpenGL stuff (i.e. 3-D games and programs) just will not run.

For now I can only tell you to wait for a later beta or the final release of Vista. The Project64 people can't be bothered to write code for an OS than is in such disrepair and despite LOOKING pretty complete, don't think Vista is anywhere close to working. I don't know why, but the Vista development team is really trying my patience. I used both a beta and RC1 of Windows XP before it was out, and it like... worked. It worked REALLY well and was almost identical (at RC1) to the final product with the same compatibility levels (until later than yr when they released some compatibility updates).

Vista scares me because they basically have this new philosophy. They will add X number of broke ideas/features, then they will try to stablize them (which is where we are now on the Vista betas), and they will work up until we are out of time, then pull everything they couldn't stablize. They have already pulled many major Vista features. By the time we see a final Vista, it will be a slow, ugly, incompatible Windows XP!! I've been on the MS bus since Windows 98SE, and became HAPPY on the MS bus with Windows 2000 and XP. Vista is shaping up to be a step BACKWARDS and no one sees it or cares...

Last edited:

Clements

Bare in mind that Vista is in the beta stages, and not officially released. It is by no means functional enough to use as a primary OS, and is therefore not yet supported by the PJ64 team.

By the time Vista is officially released, you can expect compatibility with PJ64 either by directly by the PJ64 devs or indirectly through driver enhancements for your hardware (as only preliminary beta drivers exist for Vista as of right now) or both.

OP
A

Avi1231

Thanks to both of you. I had kinda figured it was a general graphics 3d-rendering problem as, like you said, it didn't run any computer games (except for very slowly). While I have been using Windows since 3.1 I don't really keep up with how the OS is being developed. I do know that I didn't get the latest beta when I got it and I do know that it does seem really sketchy. Regretably, I am forced to use it as my primary OS as it screwed my Windows XP install. Chalk it up to a *h#! happens. Anyways, thanks.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
well i can tell you all that Vista has been pulled again to have 60% of its code rewritten.. in that sense.. we will probably see a Vista Alpha in the coming months.. instead of beta 3

vtnwesley

I've read here and there that the code being rewritten was an erroneous news story. I think that was more based in rumor and got blown out of proportion. It COULD happen (probably SHOULD happen), but I am not counting on it. That wouldn't be within their current development practices. I don't know for sure what is going on with that. I hope they are recoding.

M[u]ddy

I've heard that Vista will only have DirectX 10.
The older versions will only be emulated, which causes slower speed in all games, which aren't desined for Vista.
Since you version is beta, and the old DirectX isn't used anymore, it uses the incomlete emulation, wich doesn't work correctly jet.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i thought that at first as well but its incorrect

Vista's Dx implementation is very tricky

Dx 10 is an entire API on its own
Dx 9L will also be there separate from Dx10 but will allow support for Dx9,8,7,6 etc

the emulators not working is just plain lack of driver and OS compatibility