What's new

Yoshi's Story Graphic Problems

Spikehead777

Hi, I'm new on these forums, and I really enjoy Project 64, but I am having a problem with it though.

I wanted to play Yoshi's Story, but I couldn't very well because my little HP meter in the top-left corner of the screen is messed up, with the default plugins. I am also experiencing a strange flicker effect with the Direct3D8 plugin and the sky seems to be missing with the other plugin. Can anyone help me to make this game run almost flawlessly, if not completely flawlessly?

OP
S

Spikehead777

Dell Dimension 2400
Pentium 4 2.53/2.52 GHz
256 MB RAM
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
64 MB Video Memory

Not top of the line, but I got it 3 years ago, and since it's my parents', I can't upgrade it.

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
Spikehead777 said:
Dell Dimension 2400
Pentium 4 2.53/2.52 GHz
256 MB RAM
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
64 MB Video Memory

Not top of the line, but I got it 3 years ago, and since it's my parents', I can't upgrade it.
the graphic chip is your problem they are crap here is the final driver update and good luck.

IceLord

To put it more succinctly, with any of the inbuilt intel graphic "chips" you would be very lucky to get graphics quality rivaling say that of a dedicated card. Now I'm not saying that it isn't possible, and definantly do what the above poster says as that is your best bet without spending any money, however thats sort of a "lets add paper maché to a hole in the boat" type of solution.

There is one other solution that I could suggest. Personally I have had some success with Glide64 utilizing a glide wrapper, however like I said, personally I don't see the game running perfectly on your setup. To give you an indication as to what it looks on my setup I have included an image. This is using a fresh install of pj64 with all of the default settings. As you can see, even on this system, it is not perfect.

CPU: Dual Core 3800
Grpahics Card: 7800GTX

elektrixxx

I've only got the problem with the objects (eggs, boxes, aiming crosshair etc.) squeezing together (I believe it's a known issue). Is there a plugin that fixes this?

OP
S

Spikehead777

Well, like I said before, it's my parents' computer and I can't upgrade it. Even if I did have the permission, I wouldn't be able to upgrade it anyways, since graphics cards are not free. Basically, I don't have money for pretty much anything except maybe a gumball at the gumball machines.

So there is pretty much no way to get at least a decent emulation with this game with a graphics chip? I just wanted to play this game again after a long while.

Oh, and I'm having another issue. In the second world, I can't see Yoshi or any enemies.

And a small note: RGB Emulation seems to work, but is extremely slow.

EDIT: I just noticed the picture in IceLord's attachment. I don't see any errors in that picture.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
there are some problems with sprite orientation even on perfect spec system.. try 3rd party vid plugs.

OP
S

Spikehead777

The glide64 plugin didn't work for me. It just ran uberly slow. And I could see a flashing press start text on the top of the screen, but mirrored. And I got some "your graphics card doesn't support texture_argb_gl_mirror something" error when first opening up the rom.

Clements

You'll probably need the eVoodoo wrapper instead of Hacktarux's. Try eVoodoo 3.25, or the newer versions in the download section.

OP
S

Spikehead777

Wow, the eVoodoo wrapper 3.99b works great with this game! I don't see any graphical errors so far (not meaning there are none), and I still get quite a bit of a decent speed with it. A little slow with about 30 FPS, but that's because I have an outdated (more or less) system. In fact, I recommend this to the people out there that have the EXACT same specs and drivers as my system (like there will be, but 6 million people at least have a computer, so...). Thank you, Clements. Also thanks to the other people for trying. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a game to be playing.

elektrixxx

Spikehead777 said:
Wow, the eVoodoo wrapper 3.99b works great with this game! I don't see any graphical errors so far (not meaning there are none), and I still get quite a bit of a decent speed with it. A little slow with about 30 FPS, but that's because I have an outdated (more or less) system. In fact, I recommend this to the people out there that have the EXACT same specs and drivers as my system (like there will be, but 6 million people at least have a computer, so...). Thank you, Clements. Also thanks to the other people for trying. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a game to be playing.

I wouldn't bother if it's goin' 30 FPS.

OP
S

Spikehead777

Okay...now I'm experiencing crashes whenever I go to another area, when it does the page flip transition. It just started happening recently, and I can't fix it. I'm using the Glide64 Wonder Plus plugin and eVoodoo 3.99b. Can anyone help me?