What's new

No sound with certain games

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
First off, I fixed this by changing graphic plugins (even though that didn't work before). Thought I'd say that here instead of bumping it.

Anyway, I can't seem to get sound to play in Mario Kart 64. None of the audio plugins will make any noise. That is, if I load certain copies. Because I like to tinker with ROMs, I have 3 copies of the same file in different byte orders. Only one of them plays sound, even though their contents are identical (except for byte order); no checksum errors come up. I can't tell which, though, because their filenames are the same except for the extension, and the ROM browser doesn't show the extension. Also, Nemu64 has the same problem, but I don't know what plugin it's using. (I can't seem to find a way to choose one...)

Another odd bug I noticed is that if I have the ROM open in Hex Workshop, and I try to open it in PJ64's file browser, it says it can't open the file, but if I try to open it with PJ64 from Windows Explorer, it works. My guess is the file browser tries to open it for writing (Hex Workshop locks the file for writing). I can't imagine why it would... Should just be a matter of changing an fopen() call somewhere, though I don't care enough to dig out the source and try to get Visual Studio to work.

OP
HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
OK, turns out I didn't fix that huge RAM usage, it just happens at random. And just now I got a blue screen of death for no apparent reason during Mario Kart. >_<

AlphaWhelp

Let me get this straight. You're messing around roms with a Hex editor and then complaining that you're not getting any sound?

Man, what the hell is the point of even using a hex editor. The emulator has got the gameshark system built in and it functions just fine.

Clements

Well, we can only give feedback on the images that are GoodN64-validated and have not been directly altered in any way*. Your tinkering may cause the correct settings for the game not to be used, especially if the CRC32/Internal Name changed. Nemu64 uses internal non-zilmar spec audio, so if it has the same problem then it's probably the rom at fault.

*If you are just converting images into little-endian, big-endian etc., then that won't affect Project64 as it can load them all without a hitch. You can safely mass-convert all images to big-endian (which I believe is the correct, deinterleaved format for N64 rom images), and rename the extension to .z64 to designate that it is big-endian. I suggest you use Tool64 for this purpose, since it works great.

Last edited:
OP
HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
AlphaWhelp said:
Let me get this straight. You're messing around roms with a Hex editor and then complaining that you're not getting any sound?
The sound is gone even with unmodified ROMs (only converted to little/big endian). Unless they've somehow become corrupt, but then wouldn't PJ64 and/or Nemu complain of a checksum failure? I think Nemu also uses the CRC to look up cheat lists, which it finds without any problem.

Man, what the hell is the point of even using a hex editor. The emulator has got the gameshark system built in and it functions just fine.
Gameshark is of little use for what I'm doing; moving and editing things in ROM which aren't even kept in memory for more than a few seconds before being overwritten by other things. (The debug cheats are pretty useful for testing though. ;))