What's new

Quick Graphics question

Kray

I'm kinda new to the whole Emulator thing so this may be an obvious question, but I haven't found a thread that addresses it so I'll ask anyway.

I've got a Dell Dimension 2400 with that integrated graphics chip built into the mother board and no AGP port so graphics are kind of a problem. I've upgraded the ram to a gig so there's no lagging but that's about all I can do apparently.

I'm trying to play Paper Mario on Project64 and every time I play it I get the "Access Violation" Error. Now I've tried rebooting, restarting, downloading graphics plugins, etc. and nothing changes it. I think the game works just fine except for that stupid error message that keeps popping up, honestly there seems to be nothing wrong with it except for that message that keeps interrupting every 5 seconds.

Bottom line I guess is, is there any way to fix this with what I have? Any answer will be much appreciated, thanks.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
When was the last time you updated the graphics chip's drivers? If a program gives you an access violation error, there's not much you can do, except to try and update the drivers. in some cases, even that wont' work.

Basically, the emulator is trying to either read or write to/from a memory location that it currently doesn't have access to, or the location doesn't contain any data.

OP
K

Kray

Well this is going to sound very noobish... But what exactly are the drivers and how do you update them?

As far as I've learned from looking up all the specs about my particular computer, the Dell Dimension 2400 has probably one of the worst graphics capabilities of most packages and it's not updatable either. At least that's what they say, I'm wondering if there's a way around that. Cause from what I've read in other posts is that you guys usually fix your problems with "Access Violations" by getting a new card, and I can't do that.

Is this what you mean? And if so which of these are the ones you mean?
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&osl=en&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&os=LNUX

Last edited:

Clements

You can find drivers for it on Intel's website. Look up your graphics card in either Jabo's plugin or by typing dxdiag in the Run prompt in the Start Menu.

You'll need to use Jabo's D3D6 with it.

OP
K

Kray

Thank you for your answers. I've updated many things on my computer following your advice, except I have no graphics "card" because there's no port for it in my model. So things that involve one I didn't do.

Ok, now I've updated my graphics chip the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip, with it's "final" upgrade. Apparently upgrades for it are no longer being made since 6/05. I guess my roommate couldn't believe it, but I had never used the Windows Update command before so I updated a lot on my computer. Also I've deleted and reinstalled Project 64 along with Paper Mario to see if it works this time.

... and no it still doesn't...

So after all that, and aside from buying a new computer, is there anything anyone can think of that might help me? Again, any answers would prove helpful. Maybe it's a feature I can change in the Emulator?

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
you do not have to have a apg slot and long as you have an expansion slot on your pc. it is still upgradeable

OP
K

Kray

I see, so the reviews I've read are a little misleading. Actually the 2400 does have 2 PCI ports that can be used so there are some ways to upgrade it.

But there's still no garuantee that it'll actually fix it, so I'm not thinking about shelling out 20-60 bucks on something, that probably won't improve it's performance very much if at all, just to get around the access violations. At least not right away.
Is there any way to temporarily turn the warning off? perhaps a feature in Project 64 that does that? And also Where can I download a copy of Jabo's D3D6 in case that one helps?

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
Kray said:
I see, so the reviews I've read are a little misleading. Actually the 2400 does have 2 PCI ports that can be used so there are some ways to upgrade it.

But there's still no garuantee that it'll actually fix it, so I'm not thinking about shelling out 20-60 bucks on something, that probably won't improve it's performance very much if at all, just to get around the access violations. At least not right away.
Is there any way to temporarily turn the warning off? perhaps a feature in Project 64 that does that? And also Where can I download a copy of Jabo's D3D6 in case that one helps?

no there is not a way to turn these off you need a upgrade you gfx card to fix this i have a ati radeon 9800pro and it work very well for emulation if spending money on a new gfx card and not getting access violations will be a big improment trust me i have a old pc with no upgades until i built a new pc myself.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
PCI graphics may not be a great idea. You would get crappy perforance in gaming (possibly even emulation) just because PCI is doesn't have the bandwidth that AGP/PCI-E has.

Sn4k3

I got the same problem that Kray has for the 1.6 version.

Everything worked great with project64 1.5..

update.

Ok i just found a nice little fix for this problem.. Go get urself a copy of Jabo_Direct3D7.dll and put it into the plugin folder and changed the video graphics plugin to Jabo_Direct3D7.dll.. and it'll be working just fine

Last edited: