What's new

Controller cutout using v1.6

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
I use an old Gravis controller to play all games on the computer. This controller has a fault in it (due to age) which causes it to temporarily lose its signal for a 10th of a second sometimes. The power light blinks and my computer alerts that the USB connection has been lost and instantly regained. Other than that, I have no problems with it or with using it to play PJ64 games.

I mention this here because, when using PJ64 v1.5, these signal cutouts are not a problem. The cutout halts my connection, quickly reestablishes, and I continue like nothing happened. With v1.6 this changed. Any slight signal cutout and whatever I am controlling freezes and I have to shut down and start the program over.

Can anyone explain what changed between v1.5 and v1.6 that would cause this?

Blacklord

Banned
well i can't really explain but the problem comes from the input plugin.

try switching input pluggins

if the problem persists i suggest posting it in the RDB but maybe if u give me more details on what happens after the reconnect i could help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Nice way to triple post :/

Anyway, you could try using the older inpyut plugin from PJ64 1.5. If that doesn't fix things, the the problem lies in the core changes, not in the input plugin obviously.

OP
EmuNoviceUser

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
Thanks, both of you, for the help. I will keep changing out the plugin in mind (I sadly had not considered that).

Maybe it is fate, but it looks as if my controller just now crapped out! The loose wire or connection possibly split completely. I will buy a new controller tomorrow and try out your suggestions when connection problems persist with the new one.

Agozer

If the problem persists, then the problem isn't in the new controller, or in the input plugin, but in your USB port(s). Most likely anyway.

Blacklord

Banned
haha agonozer!! Ur suggesting that the comp has a better chance of breaking than the controller? Listen go to my computer/ properties/hardware/ device manager and check usb hubs. Make sure ur controller is plugged in! And check if the controller appears under its real name or uknown device.

Agozer

Blacklord said:
haha agonozer!! Ur suggesting that the comp has a better chance of breaking than the controller?
I meant if the problem persists AFTER he's bought a new controller. I should have been more specific. Probably.

OP
EmuNoviceUser

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
You did not need to be more specific, Agozer. I understood you perfectly.

It is not the USB ports. It was the controller causing the cutout. I know that for certain. The controller acted the same way on all of my computers and no other device using the same posts ever lose their connection.

Blacklord

Banned
then problem solved! buy a new controller and see if it works. If it doese'nt then i'm always here to help(agnozer too i think).

Eck

And, as a suggestion for a controller...

I just bought a Thrustmaster Dual Trigger 2-in-1 Rumble Force. Latest driver is at the Thrustmaster website, so install that rather than the mini-cd that comes with the pad. It works on pc and Playstation 2.

This thing rocks. It has several different rumble effects that are controlled by the game being played, but are all testable in the control panel so you can feel what they're like.

The triggers are all programable and are saved by the onboard memory chip rather than software.

The buttons are not, and there is no profile software but that hasn't caused any problems for me. In game software handles all that for most modern games. And it works like any other controller in the PJ64 gamepad configurating pages.

I got this to replace my Saitek P-880 gamepad since the Saitek driver always conflicts with my Windows installations. I dealt with it when the problems were only on Windows 98, but now with whatever OS Windows Updates have caused it the problems exist on XP as well. I just can't have the Saitek driver installed. Their Tech support had no idea what the problem was. No other gamepad (and I have many different pads) conflicts with Windows.

Of course, the best for N64 emulation is a real N64 pad and an Adaptoid. I managed to get one of those. But for everything else (or even PJ64, once you get used to it) the Thrustmaster is excellent.

OP
EmuNoviceUser

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
I went to Circuit City (had something else to pick up there) and they had almost no controllers at the moment. So I went to WalMart next door (which is where I got my previous gamepad) and bought the only one that looked remotely like what I wanted.

Saitek P2500 Rumble Force

I hate it (it does not control nearly as effectively as my old Gravis), so I'll be returning it soon, but I wanted to tell that it was aparently a controller issue only because I have no problems using the new gamepad.

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
EmuNoviceUser said:
I went to Circuit City (had something else to pick up there) and they had almost no controllers at the moment. So I went to WalMart next door (which is where I got my previous gamepad) and bought the only one that looked remotely like what I wanted.

Saitek P2500 Rumble Force

I hate it (it does not control nearly as effectively as my old Gravis), so I'll be returning it soon, but I wanted to tell that it was aparently a controller issue only because I have no problems using the new gamepad.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet here, avoid the Logitech Dual Action controller. I don't know if the other Logitech controllers mentioned by other users are any better, but the Dual Action has the highest breakdown rate that I've ever heard of in a controller.

OP
EmuNoviceUser

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
I'll probably save myself some stress by getting exactly what I had before. I liked the gamepad, so there is no real reason I need to change.

If my old controller had burst into flames or some oddity, then looking for a different one would be the better choice, but that did not happen.......... yet.

MI6CIA007

EmuNoviceUser said:
I'll probably save myself some stress by getting exactly what I had before. I liked the gamepad, so there is no real reason I need to change.

If my old controller had burst into flames or some oddity, then looking for a different one would be the better choice, but that did not happen.......... yet.

I agree. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Sony shouldn't have redesigned their controller for the PS3, but we'll all find out when we get the luxury of carressing the silver boomarang, gently tilting it's analogue sticks. :drool: :shifty: