What's new

Temperatures

revl8er

That Damn Good
What are the basic temperatures a processor and a gfx card are supposed to run at, because when I start up, my processor is at like 68C-71C and when idle I checked it with Everest and it said this

Motherboard: 25C
CPU: 49C
CPU Diode: 68C
GPU: 50C
GPU Ambient: 38C

This is with my cpu underclocked, cause my games would go back to the desktop when trying to use my full processor speed. But with it underclocked to an Athlon XP 2500 it works fine. I thought it might be a overheating processor so I went ahead and ordered a Thermaltake Volcano 10 for my processor and if needed later on, I might order a new gfx card fan.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Depends on the processor, my processor idles on 54C, when running a game it runs at around 68C, which isn't "too" bad because the operating temp of my processor is 72C. However I do not get crashes.

What I suggest you do is buy some thermal paste (I should do it as well), and a new processor fan, when you get these, remove the current heatsink and fan, apply thermal paste directly to the square in the centre of the processor [do this with a rubber glove!] and then attach your new fan. I bet your temps will drop considerably.

I think I might follow my own advice soon, and also I will attempt to use less commas too...

Thermal paste is very important do not forget it! It also slowly evaporates as you use your processor so a year or so of use and you need more paste. You wouldn't believe how nessicary this stuff is :D

Last edited:
OP
R

revl8er

That Damn Good
well that 49C is with it underclocked to an athlon xp 2500. I ordered a thermaltake volcano 10 already and am waiting for it to come in. How can I see what it runs at while running a game?

Clements

You can put load onto CPU by using a CPU-intensive app (you can even use an emulator with the frame limiter off, or something like Prime95), and use a temperature monitoring program. Bare in mind that AthlonXPs with a barton core run fairly hot anyway, as they use quite a bit of voltage.

GCFreak

Luckily, they don't run as hot as the Prescotts, though. Or he can use dolphin, it's quite CPU using on my 2800+, so it'll be the same on his 3200+.

OP
R

revl8er

That Damn Good
Well I messed around with it some more earlier, and my games still restart. I get some minor slowdown in nfsmw when I didn't before. My system also restarts now at windows startup when I set my processor at full speed any suggestions? My new processor fan should be arriving on the 28th, but I'm not sure if it's a temperature problem.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
GCFreak said:
Luckily, they don't run as hot as the Prescotts, though.

I believe they're about the same, temperature wise, at least when OC'ed. You're gonna be required to get a better heatsink. Don't get one that's rated for less than the processor you have.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
It depends really of the hardware you have. For example Athlon 64s like mine are the coolest ones being 35 Cº idle. My GPU stays idle at 56º C and when it's working it goes up to 65 Cº. And my HDD goes from 44 Cº to 50º

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
GCFreak said:
My CPU is at 57ºC Idle with case side on, 40-50ºC idle with case side off, How do I check my GPU temps?

Your videocard should have a temperature sensor fot this, and you can check it at the nVidia's drivers configuration window. If your card doesn't have a sensor, then you have to do it manually

GCFreak

t0rek said:
Your videocard should have a temperature sensor fot this, and you can check it at the nVidia's drivers configuration window. If your card doesn't have a sensor, then you have to do it manually

Thanks. Right now, this GFX baby tops 44ºC in Idle.