What's new

Serious FPS issues (370 FPS at times)

david_brent

Hi,
I'm not new to Project 64 as I used version 1.5 for a while on my desktop PC which worked as one would expect. However I have since bought a high spec laptop which is not compatible with 1.5 (I get a HAL error message and I cant even get into the config for the graphics plugin as it says that it hasn't even initialized it yet! Maybe this has something to do with my current problem) so I got 1.6 and encountered some serious speed problems, although the program actually works fine within it's own right - no nasty red error messages that I got using 1.5.

SPEC:
It's an Intel 3.2GHz multi processor, 2 Gb ram, (60Gb 7500 rpm hard drive), ATI X800 mobility graphics card, Delta 1814 firewire soundcard (although the onboard sound makes no difference to gameplay), DirectX 9c (latest version I think).

"Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device
make sure you have a properly configured
3D graphics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0"

after clicking OK... -->

"The defult or selected video plugin is missing or invalid.

Check that you have at least one compatible plugin file in your plugin folder"

It then takes me to the settings plugins tab in which on Jabo's Direct3D 6 1.5 plugin resides. It's clearly not compatible with my machine but maybe this has something to do with my problems with 1.6:

Basically the emulator kicks off with a ridiculous 215 FPS every time, gradually slowing down to about 130 before the N64 logo (or whatever the first sequence in the ROM) dissapears. When the next intro sequence or menu is about to be played it suddenly slows right down to about 5 FPS and barely plays at all. I've tried all the compatibility issues with the Recomplier and Interpreter and practiacally tried every config that the Recompiler lets you chose, (as I figured that it's likey to be a CPU problem being an HT multi processor and all that b**locks) but STILL, it won't play properly. In playing around I have managed to get a steady 60 FPS for the brief beginning sequence for the ROMS, however it tails off ALWAYS to around 5 FPS within a few moments. With certain settings set with the Recompiler and Cache settings the speed gets up to 370 FPS and am worried that this may affect my hardware as after reading the help file it mentions that hardware can be seriously affected by messing about with settings so i'm getting a little more cautious about mucking around with settings, willy nilly! Yeah. so... and thats... huh?

Does anyone know whether there are any compatibility issues with the hardware I have or whether there is something that I'm doing really obviously wrong. It would have to be obvious knowing me...
Cheers,
Brent.

Since posting this I managed to get the following error message:

"SP DMA READ
SP_DRAM_ADDR_REG not in RDRam space"

I have DMA (if this is what it refers to as I haven't seen a mention of DMA in PJ64) enabled where avaliable on all both primary IDE channels IDE and on the secondary IDE channel. Does this help anyone to help me?!

Last edited:
OP
D

david_brent

yeah, the limiter gives me that new error message (on certain settings) - stays at 60 FPS and then crashes with the DMA error which stays no matter what - have to end process in task manager. Got a couple of saved states, one which is looking promising but it's only up to 8 FPS. Cheers anyway CF2, I was getting worried about damaging hardware when I saw it shoot up to 300 FPS...
Slowly but surely...

Trotterwatch

Nice username :)

Any particular games that you are trying to play? Also from the first post it appears you have been messing about with the self mod method to try and improve performance, this is not recommended, if you've done that the best thing is to download the newest .rdb and paste it over your old one.

OP
D

david_brent

That did noooo work i'm afraid. Played around with it a fair bit and nothing seems to work.
Are there any patches for version 1.5 so I could try and get that to work possibly? I have a feeling that it's the final version, although there's no build number for it so I can't be sure.
Brent