What's new

Where can I get a site to learn game coding?

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
Well, I've been thinking of devoloping an online game for quite a while (it would be free) and I'm wondering is there is a site that teaches you how to make a 3d online game. So if you could post a link I'd be greatful.

OP
Unusual_Rex

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
Awsome thanks people I don't have like any knowledge of coding but ohwell might aswell try (and I might learn something :))

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
If you don't know anything about coding yet, first try to learn C/C++ before jumping into the API's (i.e. Direct3D or OpenGL). I recommend OpenGL for beginners for 3D graphics programming and for beginners with 3D sound I recommend OpenAL instead of DirectSound.

OP
Unusual_Rex

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
blueshogun96 said:
If you don't know anything about coding yet, first try to learn C/C++ before jumping into the API's (i.e. Direct3D or OpenGL). I recommend OpenGL for beginners for 3D graphics programming and for beginners with 3D sound I recommend OpenAL instead of DirectSound.
I'd probably need to do Direct 3d unless I used my other PC since my graphic card doesn't support OpenGL.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Sure it does. All nvidia cards does (well, pretty much all cards do). The only bad thing about opengl that I know of is the mess of shader language.

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
The GeForce2 MX400 doesnt even support shaders. Besides, it's better to use Cg for shaders anyway.

@Unusual_rex: I also reccomend OpenGL because OpenGL is a better API nvidia GPUs, AFAIK.

EDIT: I didnt notice your secondary PC. If you are using the secondary one, you'd better use Direct3D because Intel Extreme Graphics OpenGL support is HORRIBLE!

OP
Unusual_Rex

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
I don't use the secondary PC much. I just use it to play Chankast.

What would you reccomend Direct3D or OpenGL? I'm thinking of Direct3D.

Last edited:

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Unusual_Rex said:
I don't use the secondary PC much. I just use it to play Chankast.

What would you reccomend Direct3D or OpenGL? I'm thinking of Direct3D.
OpenGL without a doubt, but it is up to you. I started off with Direct3D.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
OpenGL. Shaders are much better with OGL 2.0.

Besides, it's better to use Cg for shaders anyway.
Cg is a toy of nVidia :yucky: I don't like it, it's less compatable, and it's slower than optimized shader assembly.

OP
Unusual_Rex

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
Well I decided to change it to a 2D online game I can't find any good tutorials! Does any one reccomend and free game making programs or a good tutorial?

OP
Unusual_Rex

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
Okay cool :) I'm thinking 3D is too advanced. Online is really pushing it for me, but I just want to make this game so bad, I've wanted to do this since I first played Majora's Mask :)

OP
Unusual_Rex

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
I'm starting on the sprites right now is there any online game making tutorials you know of?